Kevin Coan is a business lawyer who focuses his practice on solving complex problems and minimizing legal risks faced by businesses and their owners.
Kevin has a particular emphasis on the areas of employment law, business transactions, and real estate. He provides timely, practical, strategic, and value-added advice on various issues and opportunities faced by companies and their owners, including complex employee issues, employment law compliance, buying and selling businesses or real estate, and contract review or negotiations. If necessary, he protects his client’s interests in litigation. Kevin also offers business advice on subjects such as succession planning, exit strategies, and restructuring.
His clients include real estate owners and developers, health care providers, agricultural companies, contract manufacturers, hotels, consulting firms, and other entrepreneurial businesses and executives.
Kevin joined Hinshaw in 2010, and he currently serves as partner in charge of the Minneapolis office. Previously, he was a partner at a national, full-service law firm.
- Wisconsin Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law, 2023 – 2024
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine, 2014 – 2023
- Recipient of the 2016 Client Choice Award – Minnesota, recognized for Employment & Benefits in Minneapolis
- Named multiple times to the Rising Stars list by Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine
- Named multiple times to the Rising Stars list by Law & Politics Magazine
- August 17, 2023One Lawyer Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- December 2, 2016
- Kevin Coan Named Winner of the 2016 Client Choice Awards in the Employment & Benefits Category for MinnesotaFebruary 17, 2016
J.D., magna cum laude, William Mitchell College of Law, 1999
B.A., cum laude, English, Hamline University, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin