Jack Shadid focuses his practice on the intersection of law and economics, particularly in ESG, employee benefits plans, and renewable energy issues. Jack represents businesses in complex legal matters and life, healthcare, disability, and ERISA litigation and ensures clients are informed throughout the legal process. He also advises renewable energy companies on tax credit questions related to the federal Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. He counsels on employee benefits plans on tax questions related to the ERISA provisions of the Internal Revenue Code.
Jack joined Hinshaw in 2022, after serving two years as a legal advisor to the Illinois Senate President’s Office. While in the Senate, Jack staffed the Environment and Conservation Committee and the State Government, Insurance, and Pension Committees. As legal counsel to the Environment and Conservation Committee, Jack drafted, analyzed, and negotiated legislation and advised lawmakers on legislative process issues. In addition to his work with the Illinois Senate, prior to law school, Jack served as a legislative and political staffer for the Office of the Illinois Speaker of the House, handling media relations and constituent outreach issues for lawmakers and assisting in the caucus whip and collective decision-making efforts of the legislative committees and political factions. Furthermore, during leaves of absence from the State House of Representatives, Jack ran political campaigns across the state of Illinois. Through these committees, Jack's passion evolved for employee benefits issues relating to retirement and health insurance plans.
As a law student, Jack served as a judicial law clerk for a Federal U.S. District Judge and a Cook County Chancery Division Judge, and the Chicago-Kent College of Law Environmental Law Clinic and the Greater Chicago Legal Clinic.
- Black Business Alliance – Peoria Chapter, Board Member
- Chicago Bar Association
- Central Illinois Women’s Bar Association
- Arab American Bar Association of Illinois
Honors & Awards
- Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Dean’s List
- Co-Presenter, "Louisiana’s Advancements in CSS Projects via the Intersection of Primacy, the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), and Other Legislative Incentives," Webinar, September 26, 2023
- "Personal Finance," Hinshaw University, CLE Webinar, September 13, 2023
- Co-Author, Chapter 5, Dramshop Act Practice, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2024 Edition
- NLRB Continues Regulatory Ping Pong With New Proposed "Joint Employment" Standard Jack Shadid, Aimee E. Delaney
Employment Law Observer
J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2020
B.A., Political Science, Government, and Pre-Med Studies, University of Notre Dame, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois