Eric Simonson is an experienced trial attorney who defends the interests of businesses in commercial litigation. He represents companies in the financial, technology, construction, and other industries in a wide range of commercial contract disputes. His clients include major financial institutions, technology companies, and a number of other corporations. Eric strives to understand not only the disputes his clients face, but the business they are in. By staying current with developments in his clients' industries and their position in those industries, Eric is able to help them work toward the short-term and long-term goals they have for their business.
Eric has significant experience representing mortgage lenders and mortgage loan servicers in both single-plaintiff and class action lawsuits. He also handles claims brought under a wide range of federal and state statutes including the:
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA);
- Truth in Lending Act (TILA);
- Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act (HOEPA);
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA);
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA); and the
- Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA).
Additionally, Eric advises mortgage lenders and servicers on a variety of bankruptcy matters, including the defense of Bankruptcy Rule 2004 examinations sought by the United States Trustee.
Eric's experience further includes defending clients in the areas of insurance defense and admiralty law. He has worked on a broad range of personal injury and wrongful death cases and general casualty litigation.
As for admiralty law, Eric has defended clients in personal injury and death claims, both under the Jones Act and Longshore Act. He has also handled cargo damage, dock damage, and collision claims, as well as Limitation of Liability matters, charter party, and related commercial disputes, including ship arrests and Rule B attachments, oilfield indemnity actions, and pollution matters.
- American Bar Association
- The Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- The New Orleans Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Louisiana Super Lawyers magazine, 2017 – 2022
- Named to the "Ones to Watch" list by New Orleans CityBusiness, 2017
- "Leadership in Law," New Orleans CityBusiness, 2014
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Successfully represented Airbnb, Inc. in Florida Supreme Court ruling that incorporation of the AAA rules in a client’s terms of service "clearly and unmistakably" established that the parties agreed that the arbitrator, and not the Judge, would decide threshold questions of arbitrability.
- Defended mortgage lender and servicer clients in all manner of single-plaintiff and class action lawsuits involving alleged violations of TILA, RESPA, TCPA, FDCPA, FCRA, and other federal and state statutes.
- Represented internet company in a variety of cases to obtain judicial enforcement of its arbitration clause contained in its Terms of Service that its customers accepted through a click-wrap presentation.
- Represented employees of a national heavy equipment sales and rental company in suits brought by their former employers alleging violation of a non-compete agreement and theft of confidential and proprietary information and trade secrets.
- Represented Solar Power Company in a variety of lawsuits including a $60M contract dispute with its business partner, a consumer class action brought by its customers, sales and use tax lawsuits brought by two municipalities, and a $30M lawsuit seeking refundable tax credits from the state.
- Moderator, "Resuming Judicial and Non-Judicial Foreclosures," Hinshaw's Peer-to-Peer Financial Services Forum: The Frontlines of Mortgage Servicing, Virtual Event, March 30, 2021
- Appellate Spotlight: Florida Supreme Court Overturns Second District Circuit, Upholds Airbnb Arbitration AgreementApril 28, 2022
- Hinshaw Adds Five-Partner Group with Consumer Financial Services, Bankruptcy, and Commercial Litigation Experience, and Extends Southern Roots with Louisiana PresenceJuly 20, 2020Team brings diversified experience with consumer finance regulatory compliance, commercial litigation, bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
In his free time, Eric enjoys cooking and spending time with his wife and three children.
- Jesuit High School of New Orleans, Board of Directors
J.D., Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, 1992
M.B.A., University of New Orleans, 1988
B.S., Louisiana State University, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Louisiana
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of Texas