David Creagh practices primarily in the area of tort litigation and mediation, involving extensive experience with product liability, toxic tort, construction, premises liability, automobile and general liability litigation. He has been lead counsel in cases involving catastrophic injuries, including toxic tort litigation, indoor air quality, sick building syndrome and multiple chemical exposure; and multi-district litigation, including representation of a product manufacturer in the fen/phen litigation. He has tried more than 20 cases to verdict in state and federal courts.
Mr. Creagh's clients range from small, privately-held entities to Fortune 500 companies, several of which he represents on a regional or national basis. While maintaining a strong presence and reputation within the Chicago legal community, Mr. Creagh's practice has expanded, at the request of his clients, throughout Illinois and numerous other states including pro hac vice representation in the states of New Jersey, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Louisiana, Washington, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Dakota, Georgia and Pennsylvania.
Mr. Creagh was a long-standing member of the Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, which evaluates current and prospective judges. He currently works with mock trial teams from several different law schools.
Mr. Creagh joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in June 1985. He is the former leader of the firm's Products Liability Practice Group and a past member of the firm's Executive Committee. He served as the firm's hiring partner for a number of years. Mr. Creagh served for four years as the chairman of Hinshaw's Attorney Education Committee and still serves as a frequent lecturer at the firm's training sessions, particularly in the areas of trial advocacy.
In the Fall of 2005, Mr. Creagh completed intensive training in mediation from the faculty of Pepperdine University School of Law's top-ranked Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2023
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the categories of Toxic Torts Defense Law, Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Law, and Personal Injury Defense Law: Products Liability, and General
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2013 – 2017
Frequent lecturer on tort law and trial advocacy. He spoke on products liability at the 2002 Risk & Insurance Management Symposium in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Coaching youth baseball and basketball
- Serving as commissioner for the local youth baseball organization
- Member of a local school board
- Participates in numerous charitable events
J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 1985
- Member, National Mock Trial Team
- Recipient, Edward Barrett Award for excellence in trial advocacy
B.A., cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois