David Creagh practices primarily in the area of tort litigation and mediation, involving extensive experience with product liability, toxic tort, construction, premises liability, automobile, and general liability litigation. He has been lead counsel in cases involving catastrophic injuries—toxic tort litigation, indoor air quality, sick building syndrome, multiple chemical exposures, and multi-district litigation, including representation of a product manufacturer in the fen/phen litigation. He has tried more than 20 cases to verdict in state and federal courts.
David's clients range from small, privately-held entities to Fortune 500 companies, several of which he represents on a regional or national basis. While maintaining a strong presence and reputation within the Chicago legal community, his practice has expanded, at the request of his clients, throughout Illinois and other states, including pro hac vice representation in New Jersey, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Louisiana, Washington, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Dakota, Georgia, and Pennsylvania.
David was a long-standing member of the Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, which evaluates current and prospective judges. He currently works with mock trial teams from several different law schools.
David has been with Hinshaw since 1985 and has held various leadership positions. Presently, David serves on the firm's Executive Committee and is co-leader of the Defense Litigation Practice Group, hiring partner, and the chairman of the Attorney Education Committee. He often lectures on trial advocacy at the firm's training sessions.
In the Fall of 2005, David completed intensive mediation training at Pepperdine University School of Law's top-ranked Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2023 – 2024
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the categories of Toxic Torts Defense Law, Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Law, and Personal Injury Defense Law: Products Liability and General
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2013 – 2017
A speaker on tort law and trial advocacy, David discussed product liability at the 2002 Risk & Insurance Management Symposium in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- August 17, 2023One Lawyer Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Coaching youth baseball and basketball
- Serving as a commissioner for the local youth baseball organization
- Local school board member
- Participates in numerous charitable events
J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School, 1985
- Member, National Mock Trial Team
- Recipient, Edward Barrett Award for excellence in trial advocacy
B.A., cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois