Dan Boho has a national trial and mediation practice with verdicts in Illinois, California, Florida, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. He handles high-profile, media-intensive matters defending clients ranging from Fortune 50 corporations to mid- and small-sized companies in personal injury, product liability, and commercial litigation matters.
Dan is a Fellow and former State Chair of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (600 top trial lawyers from the U.S. and 30 other countries), and a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
Crain's Chicago Business featured Dan as one of six lawyers honored as Chicago's best lawyers in its "Chicago's Best, On the Record." Leading Lawyers Magazine, in a survey of Illinois lawyers, recognized Dan as one of the top two personal injury defense lawyers in the state of Illinois. Illinois Super Lawyers also recognizes Dan as one of the top 100 lawyers in the state of Illinois, 2023 – 2024.
He is listed among Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation and Product Liability and served as Chairman of the Commercial Litigation Section of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel.
Dan has served as General Counsel, board member, and secretary of the 22,000-member Chicago Bar Association. He was named a 2023 Justice John Paul Stevens Award Recipient by the Chicago Bar Association. Dan served as Vice Chair and General Counsel of the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce and was the first annual award winner of the Gerald J. Roper Award for Excellence.
Dan joined Hinshaw in 1977. He was a member of Hinshaw's Executive Committee for more than 30 years, and is the co-leader of the firm's national Personal Injury and Property Damage Practice Group.
He serves or has served in the following positions:
- American College of Trial Lawyers, State Chair
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- ABOTA, Member
- Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers, President
- Chicago Bar Association, General Counsel, Board Member and Secretary
- Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, Vice Chair and General Counsel
- LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, National Client Advisory Board
- Leading Lawyers of Illinois, Advisory Board
- Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI), Board of Directors
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Chair, Commercial Litigation
- Trial Lawyer's Club of Chicago, President
- Illinois State Bar Association, General Assembly Delegate
- Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity, Justice (President)
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, 2016 – 2024; Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2023 – 2024
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 – 2009, 2011 – 2023, and as one of the top 100 lawyers in the state of Illinois, 2023 – 2024
- Named a 2023 Justice John Paul Stevens Award Recipient by the Chicago Bar Association
- First Annual Gerald J. Roper Award for Excellence by the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the areas of Commercial Litigation; Personal Injury Defense Law: General; and Products Liability Defense Law
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Represented the producer of the Sugarland concert in the Indiana State Fair stage collapse litigation (seven dead, over 40 injured).
- Advised Fortune 50 company on structuring of insurance and liabilities in corporate spin-off into two separate companies.
- Represented a logistics company in a class action arising from a fire which destroyed a 12-acre GE plant and defended against a $144 million property damage claim as sole defendant.
- Obtained a summary judgment for a monitoring device manufacturer in a case brought on behalf of 65 plaintiffs claiming serious fertility loss.
- Represented building management in litigation arising from the landmark fire at Chicago Loop Fire/69 West Washington in Chicago (six dead, 16 injured).
- Defended the East Bank Club in a personal injury case involving a plaintiff with an incomplete quadriplegic injury.
- Represented the fire alarm monitoring company in the $142 million John Deere warehouse fire in Davenport, Iowa.
- Represented a media conglomerate in an alleged sexual assault case arising from a radio station "Bachelor" style promotion. The case was followed nationally by CNN, Fox, and Inside Edition.
- Served as settlement counsel in litigation involving an incident with 22 dead and 60 injured.
Dan is a co-author of a mediation treatise and author of a National Litigation Case Study published in a treatise by West Publishing and sponsored by the Association of Corporate Counsel. In addition, Dan is a West Publishing Key Author. He has been quoted on high-profile litigation and legal management issues in the National Law Journal, Inside Litigation, and The Chicago Lawyer and has been interviewed on 20/20 and Inside Edition. Dan has appeared on ABC television on the resolution of tort matters and on CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox on pending cases.
- October 3, 2023
- August 17, 2023One Lawyer Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 15, 2019
- October 21, 2013
- July 8, 2013
- November 5, 2012
- January 12, 2012
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1977
B.A., Loyola University of Chicago, 1974
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, including Trial Bar