Adair Kingsmill works with clients who offer a variety of financial services—including national and state-chartered banks, national mortgage lenders and servicers, online lenders, manufactured housing lenders, trade associations, and automotive and personal property finance companies—to ensure compliance with state and federal laws concerning consumer financial products.
She has helped clients navigate disputes involving the:
- Truth in Lending Act (TILA),
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA),
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA),
- Unfair, Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices Act (UDAAP), and
- the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA).
Adair also advises clients on compliance issues related to credit origination and licensing, servicing, collections, and lien enforcement and foreclosure and repossession procedures. She has also handled disputes involving state lending and licensing laws, as well as federal and state enforcement actions and matters in connection with the OCC, CFPB, and supervisory examinations.
Recognizing that the consumer finance landscape is rapidly changing and evolving, Adair evaluates her client's short and long term needs to provide them actionable, comprehensive, bottom-line advice. In addition to helping them develop policies, procedures, and compliance management systems, Adair assists clients with auditing and conducting risk assessments.
A former public relations executive, Adair understands how critical communication is. When combined with her knack for legal research and analysis, this allows her to distill complex legal issues and give clients a concise, business-focused analysis.
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Business Law Section
- The Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana Bankers Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- The New Orleans Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Louisiana Super Lawyers magazine, 2021
- Co-Presenter, "TCPA Compliance Issues and the Impact of the Supreme Court Decision," MBA Education Program, Virtual Event, April 15, 2021
- Co-Presenter, "Compliance Essentials: Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)," Mortgage Bankers Association, Webinar, June 2020
- Co-Author, "Compliance Essentials: Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Resource Guide," Mortgage Bankers Association, June 2020
- "How lenders can maximize loan deferral and extension compliance," Auto Finance News, June 25, 2019
- CFPB Highlights COVID-19-Fueled Regulatory Risks for Examined Industries in Special Edition of Supervisory Highlights Dustin C. Alonzo, Dana B. Briganti, Lauren Campisi, Adair L. Kingsmill, Heather D. McArn, Vaishali S. Rao
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
J.D., magna cum laude, Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, 2017
B.A., summa cum laude, The University of Georgia, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana