Daniel Ryan has a diverse commercial litigation practice. He is recognized and distinguished for his strategic ability to successfully and aggressively resolve business disputes, particularly in matters tried in federal courts and through arbitration. His technical background includes a unique combination of capabilities in class action lawsuits, health care litigation, employee benefits litigation, consumer fraud, bad faith, biometric privacy acts, corporate disputes, employment discrimination, IT software implementation disputes, securities fraud, and corporate dissolutions.
Dan's business litigation practice is nationally focused, with his cases venued throughout the country. In addition to various arbitration forums, he has represented his clients before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits, the Illinois and Indiana Appellate Courts, the United States District Courts in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Nebraska, Massachusetts, South Dakota, California, Colorado, Minnesota and Florida, the EEOC, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, and the Illinois Human Rights Commission. Dan has tried numerous cases, both jury and non-jury. His practice also entails a substantial number of matters involving alternative dispute resolution, both mediation and arbitration.
Dan devotes a significant part of his practice to managed care disputes and employee benefits litigation, both ERISA and non-ERISA. He has represented employee benefit plans and fiduciaries in court litigation and arbitration, including trials and appeals. Dan's employee benefits litigation experience in this area includes the defense of health, life and disability claims, annuity, suitability, and related disputes, long term care coverage disputes, provider disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, fraudulent billing, and reporting and disclosure claims.
Dan also possesses a substantial capability in the area of "special remedies." He has obtained injunctive relief in business disputes involving hospitals, health care plans, limited liability companies, and corporate dissolutions. Dan concentrates a significant amount of his practice in the areas of non-competition agreements.
Dan joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 1988. He is a member of the firm's Management Committee, Executive Committee, and is the former Chair of the firm's Business Litigation Practice Group. During his career with the firm, he has contributed significantly to its growth and management, having served on the Hiring Committee, the Associate Evaluation Committee and as an instructor for Hinshaw University, the firm's technical and professional training program for associate attorneys.
Dan has completed intensive training in mediation from the faculty of Pepperdine University School of Law's top-ranked Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Employee Benefits Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Health, Life & Disability Committee
- Employee Benefits Committee
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
Honors & Awards
- Named a BTI Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the categories of Class Action & Mass Tort Defense Law
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the Litigation – ERISA "Lawyer of the Year" in Chicago, 2021
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation – ERISA, 2021
A special feature of Dan's practice is his representation of a wide variety of clients, including major health insurers, managed care plans, financial institutions and credit unions, finance companies, real estate developers and several nationally prominent insurance companies. Because of his diverse experience, he is able to quickly achieve a substantial understanding of a client's business and to adapt to numerous different and frequently changing situations.
Examples of matters Dan has handled include:
- Numerous health, life and disability cases (both ERISA and non-ERISA) at both trial court and appellate court levels
- Managed care disputes against participating and non-participating providers, involving reimbursement disputes, fraudulent billing, usual and customary charges and related billing issues
- Class action and consumer fraud litigation
- Defense verdict in a two week bad faith jury trial held in federal court in California for a national, top five health care company.
- Favorable verdicts in employment discrimination suits
- Favorable jury verdicts in bad faith claims handling cases
- Obtaining injunctive relief in various disputes involving ownership interests in closely held corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships
- Class action involving alleged violation of the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act ("BIPA").
- Prosecution and defense of claims relating to restrictive covenants, tortious interference and misappropriation of trade secrets
- Defense of banks, credit card issuers, financial institutions and automobile manufacturers in class actions involving claims of Uniform Commercial Code, consumer fraud, truth-in-lending and fair credit reporting
- Defense of information technology providers in disputes involving software implementation projects
- Real estate disputes including right of first refusal claims on purchase of a $37.5 million apartment complex, as well as TIF district disputes, special service area tax developments and condemnations
- Representing financial institutions in claims arising out of the Uniform Commercial Code (Articles 3 and 4), including fictitious payees, forgeries and alterations, and other check schemes
- Defense of a prominent truck manufacturer against claims for tortious interference with an international distribution agreement
- Defense of an automobile manufacturer in dealer disputes
- Arguments before the appellate courts, including the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Eight Circuits and the state appellate courts in Illinois and Indiana
Dan regularly gives presentations to various attorney groups and associations on business litigation subjects, including employee benefits, health care, class actions, injunctive relief and arbitrations. His presentations include those before the Defense Research Institute (DRI), the National Consumer Class Action Litigation & Management Conference, the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), the Eastern Claims Conference, the Self-Insurance Institute of America, the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel and the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE).
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- March 18, 2019
- September 10, 2018
- February 4, 2014
Dan is an avid golfer, snow skier and water skier. He lives with his wife and four children in the Chicagoland area.
- Active in his church on various boards and committees, including the Finance Committee and School Board
- Regularly devotes time to a number of charitable organizations
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law
B.A., University of Notre Dame
- Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin