Bessie Daschbach and Colleen Jarrott to Speak on Carbon Sequestration and ESG at the State of the Coast Conference
New Orleans-based partners Bessie Daschbach and Colleen Jarrott will present at the State of the Coast: Together Again, a panel session titled "Environmental, Social and Governance Aspects of Decarbonization" on June 1, 2023, at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.
This session will provide the following:
- Introduction to carbon capture and storage
- Overview of technologies used for capture, transportation, and injection
- Update on developments at the Louisiana legislative level over the 2022 session and ongoing 2023 session
- Risk-based approach for energy companies in coastal Louisiana to address CCS/CCUS as part of a comprehensive approach toward decarbonization
- Risks of insufficiently substantiating environmental, social, and governance (ESG) commitments, including climate and decarbonization goals
On June 2, 2023, Daschbach will also present on another panel titled "Public Trust Doctrine: An Evolving Legal Theory for an Evolving Coastline."
The panel will be divided into five sections of discussion:
- A primer on the public-trust doctrine and its manifestation in the Louisiana Constitution as applied by cases over the years (including the “Oyster Trilogy” of cases) and its current status
- Specific application of the public-trust doctrine to asset retirement—recent cases, a matter handled by Fishman Haygood, and the Fieldwood bankruptcy case
- Cutting-edge application of the doctrine – correlative property rights surrounding servitudes, focusing specifically on the arguments for and against applying the public-trust doctrine to private affairs
- Address how ESG relates by way of outstanding environmental liabilities could run afoul of ESG disclosures and representations, creating an additional layer of enforcement and litigation risk, and how resolving those liabilities could align with ESG objectives
- Act 312 for the Coast
An interdisciplinary forum, the State of the Coast (SOC) conference is the largest statewide conference of its kind. The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana (CRCL) produces this forum with partners the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority of Louisiana, the Water Institute of the Gulf, and Sea Grant Louisiana.
For more information and to register, visit SOC's website.