Kate Schnake devotes her practice to representing and advising lawyers and law firms on all aspects of the laws governing lawyers. Her professional liability defense experience includes defending lawyers and law firms against actions for civil liability and professional ethics and responsibility.
Kate is a former adjunct professor at The John Marshall Law School. Prior to joining Hinshaw as an attorney, she was a summer associate with the firm, as well as a paralegal.
During law school, Kate was a member of the Dean's List, and was a teaching assistant for a first-year torts course.
- National Association of Women Lawyers, Member, 2016–Present
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, 2013–Present
- Young Lawyers Section, Professional Committee, Co-Chair, 2016–Present; Vice-Chair, 2014–2016
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Former Member
- Joint Professional Reception Committee, Former Member
- Defense Research Institute, Former Member
- "Inadvertant Disclosure of Privileged Information," Chicago Bar Association Committee Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, November 17, 2016
- "Social Network Media—Will you be my Facebook Friend?" West LegalEdcenter, live webcast, May 2013
- "Three's Company: Navigating the Winding Road of the Insurer, Insured and Defense Counsel," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, March 2013
- "How to Avoid Disqualification (or a Lawsuit) with a Prospective Client," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, January 2012
- "Challenges to Collector's TCPA Consent," MAPbulletin, ACA International, July 2013
Lawyers for the Profession®
- September 27, 2017
- October 28, 2016
- Illinois Appellate Court Holds That Legal Malpractice Claim Was Barred by Six-Year Statute of Repose, and Collateral Estoppel Precluded Fraudulent Concealment ClaimJuly 5, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- March 24, 2016
- October 26, 2015
- June 29, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- January 5, 2015
- October 29, 2014
- California Court Awards Attorneys' Fees in Legal Malpractice Case Based on Rates that Exceeded the Actual Amounts BilledJuly 17, 2014Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- May 20, 2014Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- March 28, 2014Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- March 17, 2014
- December 16, 2013
- Final Due Date for Filing Estate Taxes Triggered Statute of Limitations in Third-Party Complaint for ContributionDecember 12, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- Attorney Owes Duty to Next of Kin in Wrongful Death Action Despite Lack of Direct Retention of AttorneyOctober 10, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- October 2, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- Accrual Date for Two-Year Statute of Limitations in Legal Malpractice Action Began When Plaintiff Received Notice of Deficiency From IRSSeptember 4, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- July 15, 2013
- May 29, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- April 26, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
Kate has run the Chicago marathon three times in support of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and the Diabetes Action Team. She is also an active member of the equestrian world and has a passion for all things horse-related.
As an undergraduate at Millikin, Kate was a member of the varsity women's volleyball team and served as team co-captain from 2005 to 2006.
- Urban Initiatives, Associate Board Member, 2015–Present
- Presented the debate, "Who's Side Are You On: A Discussion on the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement," for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boys and Girls Club of Chicago, in November 2011