Kate Schnake focuses her practice in professional liability defense, with particular emphasis in the defense of lawyers and law firms against actions for civil liability and professional ethics and responsibility.
Ms. Schnake joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2011. Previously she was paralegal with the firm since 2007. Ms. Schnake was also a summer associate at Hinshaw in 2010 and 2011.
During law school, Ms. Schnake was a member of the Dean’s List, and was a teaching assistant for a first-year torts course.
During her undergraduate studies, Ms. Schnake was a recipient of the Sigrid A. Stottrup History Prize. She was a member of the Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society, and a member and Senior Transitional Officer of Pi Beta Phi. She was a member of the varsity women’s volleyball team and was team co-captain in 2005 to 2006.
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Schnake was an administrative assistant with Tate & Lyle North America, in Decatur, Illinois.
- Defense Research Institute
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Member of Joint Professional Reception Committee.
- "Inadvertant Disclosure of Privileged Information," Chicago Bar Association Committee Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, November 17, 2016.
- "Social Network Media—Will you be my Facebook Friend?" West LegalEdcenter, live webcast, May 2013.
- "Three's Company: Navigating the Winding Road of the Insurer, Insured and Defense Counsel," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, March 2013.
- "How to Avoid Disqualification (or a Lawsuit) with a Prospective Client," West LegalEdcenter live webcast, January 2012.
- "Challenges to Collector's TCPA Consent," MAPbulletin, ACA International, July 2013.
Lawyers for the Profession®
- September 27, 2017
- October 28, 2016
- Illinois Appellate Court Holds That Legal Malpractice Claim Was Barred by Six-Year Statute of Repose, and Collateral Estoppel Precluded Fraudulent Concealment ClaimJuly 5, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- March 24, 2016
- October 26, 2015
- June 29, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- January 5, 2015
- October 29, 2014
- California Court Awards Attorneys' Fees in Legal Malpractice Case Based on Rates that Exceeded the Actual Amounts BilledJuly 17, 2014Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- May 20, 2014Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- March 28, 2014Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- March 17, 2014
- December 16, 2013
- Final Due Date for Filing Estate Taxes Triggered Statute of Limitations in Third-Party Complaint for ContributionDecember 12, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- Attorney Owes Duty to Next of Kin in Wrongful Death Action Despite Lack of Direct Retention of AttorneyOctober 10, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- October 2, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- Accrual Date for Two-Year Statute of Limitations in Legal Malpractice Action Began When Plaintiff Received Notice of Deficiency From IRSSeptember 4, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- July 15, 2013
- May 29, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- April 26, 2013Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
Kate has run the Chicago marathon three times in support of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and the Diabetes Action Team.
Presented the debate, "Who’s Side Are You On: A Discussion on the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement," for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boys and Girls Club of Chicago, in November 2011