Our Lawyers for the Profession® practice group, consisting of 60-plus lawyers, is devoted to representing and advising lawyers and law firms on all aspects of the "law governing lawyers." We focus on four broad areas: legal malpractice defense; ethics and professional responsibility representation and counseling; law firm organization and structure; and risk management services. We have 11 states well-covered and try lawyers' cases nationally wherever needed. Our lawyers anticipate and preempt professional problems, but when disputes occur we offer sound solutions or, where necessary, effective advocacy.
Our leading position as lawyers for the profession is further evidenced in the published works of our team, the professional appointments and bar association positions we hold, the frequency with which members of our group are invited to serve as expert witnesses, and the large number of lectures and presentations we are invited to give annually. In fact, we have chaired virtually every bar-related organization and committee concerned with legal ethics and professional responsibility and one of our partners served as President of the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL), a nationally prominent bar group.
Hinshaw was named by U.S. News - Best Lawyers as the 2014 "Law Firm of the Year" in the area of Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law. According to U.S. News - Best Lawyers, one law firm in each of the 74 practice areas is chosen as the "Law Firm of the Year," recognizing an impressive overall performance and representing a significant showing in the guide's "Best Law Firms" initiative. Hinshaw has one of the largest and most respected professional liability practices in the United States, with more than 125 attorneys who have extensive experience in the defense of diverse professional liability claims. Please click here for the full definition of Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law.
Hinshaw offers multiple tools to help lawyers manage the complexities of practicing law.
Hinshaw's Safety Net® is built to support general counsel for law firms of 50+ lawyers or corporate in-house counsel, and contains a comprehensive set of research materials of regularly updated materials related to legal ethics, professional responsibility, and law firm risk management within a secure and confidential system. The online tools are available 24/7 from any secure internet connection (computer, tablet, or smart phone) in the world, and includes a hotline which is answered during business hours. These benefits are accessible to as many lawyers as a subscribing law firm wishes to register, all for a modest annual subscription fee. For more information or to subscribe to this service, which many Am Law 100 firms are already enrolled, please contact Nabil Foster at email@example.com.
Lawyering Law is Hinshaw's risk management service for lawyers and law firms of fewer than 50 lawyers who are insureds of partner professional liability insurers. Lawyering Law provides access to on-demand CLE programs, an e-library of proprietary risk management advice, and real-time risk management counselling. Hinshaw helps lawyers minimize–if not eliminate–the risks of potential claims by clients and non-clients, disciplinary proceedings, and even criminal prosecution. Consult with your insurance provider, broker, agent, or contact us to learn if you qualify.
- Shelley M. Bethune
- Marissa I. Delinks
- Patrick P. Devine
- Noah D. Fiedler
- Nabil G. Foster
- Matthew R. Henderson
- Desmond J. Hinds, Jr.
- Alyssa A. Johnson
- Burke G. Lopez
- Barry F. MacEntee
- Terrence P. McAvoy
- Thomas P. McGarry
- Filomena E. Meyer
- Caroline A. Mondschean
- Jill M. Munson
- Steven M. Puiszis
- Michael G. Ruff
- Katherine G. Schnake
- Peter D. Sullivan
- Adam R. Vaught
- Jessica L. Watkins
- Bradley M. Zamczyk
- February 18, 2020
- Hinshaw Discusses Potential Problems Posed by the CCPA to the Tripartite Relationship Between Insurer, Insured, and Law FirmFebruary 3, 2020
- In DRI Column, Cassidy Chivers Discusses Importance of "Minding the Gap" when an Attorney Relocates to Another StateJanuary 24, 2020
- Hinshaw Submits Comments to California Attorney General Regarding Proposed California Consumer Privacy Act RegulationsDecember 17, 2019CCPA Could Frustrate Tripartite Relationship Between Insured, Insurer, and Law Firm
- November 8, 2019
- Hinshaw Recognized Nationally and Regionally in 2020 U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" DirectoryNovember 1, 2019
- June 5, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- Continuous Representation Doctrine Does Not Toll Statute of Limitations Where Attorney Withdraws in Appellate CourtJune 3, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- Ninth Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment for Defendants Based on Plaintiffs' Failure to Present Expert TestimonyMay 27, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- Alabama Civil Appeals Court Holds Error in Judgment Rule Requires Expert Testimony to Establish Standard of CareMay 5, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- Utah's District Court Dismisses Malpractice Action Against Florida Firm Based on Lack of JurisdictionApril 22, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- April 8, 2020Cyber Alert