As Counselors for the Profession, we advise lawyers and law firms—from AmLaw100 firms to small practices and solo practitioners—on every aspect of the law governing lawyers, encompassing:
- Bar Admissions, Discipline and Reinstatement
- Law Firm Creation, Merger, Withdrawal, Dissolution, Business Model/Structure advice
- Law Firm Internal Investigations
- Managing all aspects of technology and cyber risk
- Mergers and Lateral Movement, Compensation Structures
- Professional Responsibility Advice
- Risk Management (including reputation management, hotline counseling, forms drafting, opinion work, audits, policy and standards, CLE training, and management counseling)
We are thought leaders nationally in the law governing lawyers. We leverage our national knowledge to partner with our clients to proactively manage their risk, and when events arise, we guide them through stormy seas.
- Our Lawyers' Lawyer Newsletter is a leading publication in the area of ethics/professional responsibility.
- We annually host the Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference (LMRM), which has become the premier event focused on important and current developments in the law and litigation of malpractice claims, legal malpractice insurance and risk management strategies.
- January 26, 2021
- March 2 – 4, 2021
- December 16, 2020
- March 3 – 5, 2020
- Tom McGarry Reviews IP Law Malpractice Developments at 10th Annual Ethics in the Practice of IP Law SeminarJune 7, 2019
- March 5 – 7, 2019
- In DRI Column, Cassidy Chivers Discusses Importance of "Minding the Gap" when an Attorney Relocates to Another StateJanuary 24, 2020
- November 8, 2019
- As Severity of Legal Malpractice Claims Rise, LawyeringLaw.com Provides Risk Management Tools and Services for Lawyers and Law FirmsJune 18, 2019Leading Professional Liability Defense Firm Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP Creates Next Generation Lawyeringlaw.com Service to Meet Increased Challenges of Today’s Legal Practice
- April 8, 2019One of the Largest Rule 137 Sanctions Ever Imposed in Cook County
- March 12, 2019
- Steve Puiszis Authors Comprehensive Overview of EU's GDPR Privacy Law in Journal of the Professional LawyerJanuary 24, 2019
- December 11, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- November 2, 2020Insights for Insurers: Cyber Coverage
- March 23, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- February 20, 2020
- December 19, 2019
- Represented acquiring firm in an affiliation with a firm in another state. Affiliation agreement addressed issues such as wind down of acquired firm’s accounts receivable and WIP, real estate leases, capital account payouts, etc. The engagement also involved amending the acquiring firm’s partnership agreement to accommodate the newly-added attorneys.
- Represented departing partner in dissolution of a law firm. In addition to drafting primary documentation, we also represented the partner in a mediation which successfully resolved the dispute.
- Multiple engagements advising law firms on amendments to partnership agreements, including those relating to compensation, management and other operational issues.
- Engagements also include advising and drafting documentation for joint ventures between law firms and related businesses (such as lobbying firms and consulting practices), with a special focus on the applicable jurisdictional regulations affecting lawyers.
- Represented an AmLaw 200 law firm in its acquisition/merger with a prominent 50-attorney regional firm.
Sale of Practices
- Represented firms and individuals in purchase and sale transactions involving sale of a legal practice. Engagements include assessment of regulatory issues, and drafting agreements to address collections.