Robert Buchholz concentrates his practice in the areas of professional and general liability defense, commercial litigation, risk management, insurance coverage and appellate advocacy. His representative clients include law firms, accountants, financial services professionals, insurance companies, private equity funds, and mortgage servicers, lenders and trustees of securitized mortgage trusts. Well-versed in all phases of litigation, Robert's clients rely on his counsel when facing claims of malpractice, negligence, bad faith, defamation, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and violations of SEC Rule 10b-5.
Before joining Hinshaw, Robert practiced at a major Boston law firm. While there, he counseled governments and quasi-public authorities on the issuance of tax-exempt and taxable debt, as well as institutional investors and indenture trustees in workouts and restructurings. Prior to entering private practice, he clerked for the Honorable Robert J. Cordy on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
During law school, Robert interned for the Honorable Peter M. Lauriat and the Honorable Dennis J. Curran on the Massachusetts Superior Court and was the Editor-in-Chief of the New England Law Review. In addition to being the valedictorian of his law school class, Robert was the recipient of the Dean Arthur E. MacLean Award for Academic Excellence, the Dean's Award and the New England Scholar Award.
Prior to his legal career, Robert was the Assistant Senate Clerk in the New Hampshire State Senate. He also worked as the Deputy Director of a New Hampshire state-level political action committee.
- Law Clerk's Society of the Supreme Judicial Court, Board of Directors, 2015–Present
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Commercial Litigation, 2021
Robert has participated in a number of pro bono matters, including:
- Drafting an amicus brief to the United States Supreme Court in a matter involving a challenge to a Massachusetts law implementing a "buffer zone" around abortion clinics.
- Drafting a brief to the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court on behalf of a veteran challenging the denial of his application for court costs under the Massachusetts indigency statute.
- Drafting a complaint and memorandum in support of declaratory and injunctive relief to the Massachusetts Superior Court relating to an administrative appeal from the denial of a public records request.
- Counseling clients as part of the Civil Appeals Clinic pilot initiative held at the Brooke Court Service Center and the Massachusetts Appeals Court.
- Representing an asylum seeker before the Department of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services as part of the Political Asylum/Immigration Representation Project (PAIR).
- Fleshner v. Pepose Vision Institute: Eviscerating the Mansfield Rule, New England Law Review, April 2012
- When Your Best Friend Is Your Worst Enemy: How 18 U.S.C. §1519 Transforms Internal Investigations into State Action and Unexpected Waiver of Attorney-Client Privilege, New England Law Review, July 2012
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- According to the California Court of Appeals, An Attorney's Failure to Disclose Lack of Professional Liability Insurance Renders Fee Division Agreement UnenforceableFebruary 17, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- According to Tenth Circuit, "Continuous Representation" Doctrine Does Not Toll Legal Malpractice Statute of Limitations Under New Mexico LawJanuary 17, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- December 19, 2019
- October 31, 2019
- April 25, 2019
- March 19, 2019
- Wisconsin Court of Appeals Holds Judge's Undisclosed Facebook Friendship with Litigant is Objectively Bias and Violates Due ProcessMarch 13, 2019Lawyers for the Profession®
- March 1, 2019Lawyers for the Profession®
- Colorado Supreme Court Holds That Plaintiff Must Bear Burden of Proving Collectibility in Legal Malpractice ActionsFebruary 15, 2019Lawyers for the Profession®
- October 30, 2018
- January 4, 2018
- September 6, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- Penn's Hill Neighborhood Association, Inc., Treasurer
J.D., summa cum laude, New England School of Law, 2012
- Editor-in-Chief, New England Law Review
B.A., cum laude, English, Saint Anselm College, 2006
- New Hampshire