Peter Sullivan is the chairman of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP. He directs the strategy and operations for the firm.
Peter is also a seasoned litigator who handles complex professional liability and commercial matters. In particular, he defends actions against accountants and attorneys, director and officer liability and coverage cases, consumer class action cases, and breach of contract cases.
Peter is a dedicated and decisive leader, known for his intellect and enthusiasm. Throughout his career, Peter has taken on numerous leadership roles within Hinshaw, including serving as a long standing member of the firm's Management Committee, past chair of the Business Litigation Practice Group, and former regional director.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, 2016 – 2022
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 – 2022
- Top 10 Illinois Legal Malpractice Defense list, Leading Lawyers, 2018
- Trial Excellence Award, Defense – Attorney Malpractice, Illinois Jury Verdict Reporter, 2011
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in: Commercial Litigation; Insurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law; Products Liability Defense Law; and Professional Malpractice Defense Law
- "Lessons from the Professional Liability Front: Claims CAN Happen to You," ICPAS Midwest Accounting Show, Rosemont, Illinois, August 23, 2016
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- January 29, 2021
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- February 8, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- March 29, 2019
- March 11, 2019
- February 22, 2019Peter Sullivan Elected Chairman, Kevin Burke Will Return to Trial Practice and Continue to Lead Key Firm Initiatives
J.D., with honors, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1983
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin