Patrick Devine is an experienced trial attorney focused on professional liability defense, business litigation, commercial general liability defense, and construction claims. His professional liability practice centers on defending physicians, attorneys, accountants, architects, realtors, and insurance agents/brokers against malpractice and E&O claims. Patrick's business litigation practice concentrates on commercial disputes and fidelity claims.
In the course of his practice, Patrick defends cases arising out of construction accidents and defects, trucking accidents, fire losses, hotel losses, theater losses, premises accidents, transportation incidents, and other serious accidents. He also assists insurance clients with examinations under oath (EUO), special investigation unit (SIU) matters, and first-party and subrogation claims, as well as those involving allegations of bad faith and unfair claims practices. He also works with Indiana businesses on matters involving commercial transactions and real estate.
Patrick's representative clients include the Indiana Department of Insurance, Munich Re Insurance, American Alternative Insurance Company, Albanese Confectionery Inc., Family Express Corporation, CHG Insurance, Chubb, The Hartford, QBE Insurance, Cincinnati Insurance Company, Markel, and Those Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London. He also represents the government and public entities and nonprofit corporations including the city of Indianapolis.
Before joining Hinshaw in 2005, Patrick was a trial attorney with Eberhard & Gastineau, P.C., and was recruited to open the firm's Mishawaka, Indiana, office. He was also a trial attorney responsible for high exposure/excess cases with the Law Offices of Citizens Insurance for several years–and was honored with their Citizens/Allmerica Exceptional Performance Award. During his tenure at Citizens', he managed all aspects of their Mishawaka office and mentored junior attorneys.
Patrick’s law school accomplishments include having been a member of the Order of the Coif.
- Lake County (Indiana) Bar Association
- Serves as a Lake County judge pro tempore
Honors & Awards
- DePaul University College of Law
- CALI Award in "Advanced Trial Advocacy"
A selection of Patrick's representative matters are below. Click on the links to see him argue the respective case.
- AOX, Inc. v. Lake Cty. Trust Co., 129 N.E.3d 270 (Ind. Ct. App. 2019)
- Chaffins v. Kauffman, 995 N.E.2d 707 (Ind. Ct. App. 2013)
- Breeden v. Hoffmeister-Repp, 941 N.E.2d 1045 (Ind. Ct. App. 2010)
Patrick regularly provides in-house client presentations and continuing education seminars on insurance industry-related issues. A selection of Patrick's presentations include:
- Co-Presenter, "Defending the Traumatic Brain Injury ("TBI") Case - The Objective vs. The Subjective," American Educational Institute and Society of Claims Law Associates, Virtual Event, October 12, 2022
- "Law Firm Best Practices: A Legal Malpractice Defense Lawyer's Wish List," Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF), The Business of Law, seminar, Indianapolis, Indiana, December 12, 2017
- "The Three-Way Relationship Between Insurer, Insured and Assigned Counsel: Ethics and Malpractice Issues," WestLegalEdcenter, webinar, May 27, 2016
Patrick's publications include:
- "Good Intentions/Problematic Application: The Medical Malpractice Doctrines of Loss of Chance and Increased Risk of Harm," Hinshaw's Medical Malpractice Newsletter, February 2009
- "Inadvertently Disclosed Information: Do I Have to Give it Back?" co-author, The LawyerCare Newsletter, Volume 9, Number 2, September 2008
- August 21, 2013
- June 10, 2013
- July 2, 2012
Patrick serves as senior advisor to the Anna C. Gamble Charitable Foundation, a private charitable trust, and assists with selecting recipients for philanthropic gifts.
J.D., with honors, DePaul University College of Law, 1996
B.S., Accounting, Indiana University School of Business, 1992
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana