Josh Vincent is a senior member of the Appellate Practice Group of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP. He has briefed and argued more than 350 appeals, resulting in 180 published decisions. Josh has appeared 12 times in the Illinois Supreme Court. He has also appeared in the Florida Supreme Court; the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth and Federal Circuits; the New Jersey Appellate Division; the Ohio Appellate Court; and all districts of the Illinois Appellate Court.
Josh's appellate work involves nearly all of the firm's practice areas, including: commercial disputes; labor and employment; professional and products liability; insurance coverage; administrative review; eminent domain; and criminal justice. He has overturned adverse appellate court decisions and multimillion-dollar verdicts, and successfully upheld favorable trial court outcomes. He is often hired to prepare or defend post-trial motions as well.
Although Josh dedicates approximately 80% of his practice to appeals, he has won jury verdicts in state and federal courts and is a member of the federal trial bar in Chicago. His trial level practice mirrors several of the substantive areas of his appellate practice.
Josh joined Hinshaw in May 1983 and was elected a partner in 1989. He was an elected member of the firm's Executive Committee from 2002 – 2023.
Josh is Hinshaw's Professional Development Partner and is heavily involved in the hiring and training of the firm's young lawyers. He co-chairs Hinshaw University, which plans and produces the firm's nationwide basic skills, trial advocacy and continuing legal education programs, and is a member of the CLE Advisory Group to the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism. Josh also chairs the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Access to Justice's Appellate Forms Subcommittee.
Josh supervises the Chicago office's incoming class of new lawyers in many pro bono matters, including the prosecution of direct criminal appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. He spearheaded the firm's adoption of its first pro bono policy and the establishment of its nationwide pro bono legal services committee.
For three years, Josh taught appellate brief writing at DePaul University College of Law. He has also taught an undergraduate constitutional law class at DePaul's Lincoln Park campus.
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, Fellow
- Illinois Access to Justice Commission
- Appellate Forms Subcommittee, Chair
- Public Interest Law Initiative
- Board of Directors
- Pro Bono Initiative Committee
- Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism, CLE Advisory Group
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Appellate Practice, 2013 – 2024
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 – 2023
- Recognized as a 2023 Crain's Chicago Notable Litigator & Trial Attorney
- Named a "BTI Client Service All-Star MVP," 2022
- Named a "BTI Client Service All-Star," 2013, 2016, 2020
- Selected as "Best Mentor: Law Firm" by The American Lawyer, 2018
- Recognized on the Top 100 Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2015 – 2016
- Recipient of the Seventh Circuit Bar Association's 2012 John Paul Stevens Pro Bono and Public Service Award for outstanding pro bono work in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the category of Civil Appellate Law
Josh is a regular speaker at bar association seminars on topics such as: appellate practice; trial practice; attorney training and education; health law; and insurance coverage. His speaking engagements include:
- "Conflicts of Interest / Independent Counsel," Chicago Bar Association seminar, "Emerging Issues in Insurance Coverage," Chicago.
- American Bar Association National Conference on Professional Responsibility.
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law Health Law Spring Symposium.
- Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section insurance law seminars.
- Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section appellate and trial techniques seminars.
- Sedona Conference on Complex Managed Care Liability
- August 17, 2023One Lawyer Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- June 23, 2023
- Hinshaw Partner Joshua Vincent Named to Crain’s Chicago Business 2023 Notable Litigators & Trial AttorneysMarch 13, 2023
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- June 16, 2022
- February 9, 2022
- The Long Road to a New Home: The Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Program and Afghan & Iraqi Military InterpretersNovember 11, 2021Veteran's Day CLE SpecialVirtual Event
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Served as a fundraiser for a near north side (Chicago) battered women's shelter and collected Christmas gifts for the shelter's children
- Served as his neighborhood's spokesperson on issues of landmarking
- Provided financial support to community theater groups (Theater Wit and Shattered Globe Theater)
- Served as a "Secret Santa" for underprivileged children enrolled in the South Chicago Art Center (SkyArt).
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1983
A.B., University of Michigan, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar