Jeffrey Fertl has wide-ranging trial and appellate litigation practice. He has handled numerous commercial class actions and personal injury cases, and has substantial experience in the handling of products liability and warranty matters.
Mr. Fertl has represented Subaru, Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Volkswagen A.G., Volkswagen Group of America, Volvo Trucks of North America, Mack Trucks, Black & Decker, General Electric, Mazda, Porsche, Gulf Stream Coach, Toro Company, Paccar, Inc., Volvo Cars of North America, United Rentals, Menard, Inc., Tiffin Motor Homes, Tricam Industries, Nissin Brake, Hubbell, Inc., Ameron/ PPG, Wilson Trailers, Panasonic and other major manufacturers in commercial and product liability litigation. His involvement spans all stages of a case, including trial, mediation and appellate proceedings.
Mr. Fertl joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in June 1988. He is a past co-leader of the firm’s Products Liability Practice Group.
His other professional affiliations include the Litigation & Torts and Insurance Practice Sections of the Defense Research Institute, the State Bar of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Civil Trial Counsel.
- Civil Trial Counsel of Wisconsin’s Amicus Curiae Committee, Member
- Product Liability Advisory Council, Member
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2013 – 2023
Among Mr. Fertl’s major reported appellate cases are:
- Garcia v. Mazda Motor of America, Inc., Appeal No. 02-2260, related to Wisconsin lemon law
- Wischer v. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America, Inc., Appeal No. 01-0724, 01-1031, 01-2486 (2005), various trial and appellate proceedings related to punitive damages
- Berends v. Mack Truck, Inc., Wis. App. 69 (Ct. App. 2002), related to lemon law
- Tammi v. Porsche Cars North America, Inc., Appeal No., related to Wisconsin lemon Law
- Blasing v. Zurich American Ins. Co., Appeal No. 2012AP858, related to insurance coverage and duty to defend
- Hughes v. Chrysler Motors Corp., 197 Wis. 2d 974, 542 N.W.2d 148 (1996), related to lemon law
- Dykema v. Volkswagenwerk AG, 525 N.W.2d 754 (Wis. App. 1994), product liability federal preemption matter
- Maskrey v. Volkswagenwerk Aktiengesellschaft, 125 Wis. 2d 145, 370 N.W.2d 815 (1985), six week trial, related to automobile enhanced injury law
His representative trial work includes:
- Georgeson v. Black & Decker, Inc. and Woodcraft Supply (2011), one week products liability trial
- Cameron v. Volkswagen (2010), five week products trial resulting in defense verdict
- Manitowoc Marine Group, LLC v. Ameron Intern. Corp. (2008), three week products trial involving paint allegations
- Encompass Ins. Co. v. General Electric (2006), one week products trial
- Scholz v. Menards (2007), one week personal injury trial
- Koehler v. Harley Davidson/Nissin Brake (2011), one week products trial in Cook County
- Tammi v. Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (2008), one week breach of warranty claim
- Mahmoud v. Subaru-Isuzu Automotive, Inc. (2006), one week breach of warranty claim
- Bailey v. Subaru-Isuzu Automotive, Inc. (2004), one week trial involving product liability claim
- Horan v. Polaris (2004), one week trial involving snowmobile product liability claim
- Spenner v. Opus North (2004), two week trial involving premises liability
- Loertscher v. Uniroyal (unpublished appellate opinion in the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, 1997)
- Dykema v. Volkswagenwerk AG (Summer 1992), 10 week trial involving product liability claim
- Foster v. American Motors Corp. (1988), six week product liability trial
- Chaulk by Murphy v. Volkswagen of America, Inc., 808 F.2d 639 (7th Cir. 1986), four week products trial
Masterson v. Jeep Corporation and American Motors Corporation (1986) (unpublished appellate opinion in the Wisconsin Circuit Court of Appeals), four week products trial
Mr. Fertl has also served as counsel in various fraud trials for Special Investigation Units of insurance companies.
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- Hinshaw Legal Team Prevails on Behalf of Prosecutors in Lawsuit Brought by Ex-Aide to Governor Scott WalkerAugust 30, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- August 15, 2016
J.D., cum laude, Marquette University Law School, 1981
B.A., summa cum laude, Political Science and Philosophy, Marquette University, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin