For more than 20 years, David E. Heiss has defended the interests of clients in commercial, tort, insurance, reinsurance, and corporate litigation. Armed with extensive insurance coverage experience—including numerous disputes in excess of $100 million—Dave's insurance industry clients frequently turn to him for advice on first-party coverage disputes. He has also tried cases to verdict in numerous state and federal jurisdictions throughout the country.
In addition to helping his clients navigate complex property coverage issues, Dave counsels insurers on matters involving first-party commercial disputes, extended coverages, agent and broker liability, equipment breakdown coverage, builder's risk coverage, and bad faith.
Dave has been invited to speak on the subject of property insurance coverage on multiple occasions. This often includes addressing issues arising from catastrophic events such as the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina.
Dave began his legal career with a Chicago-based firm. Most recently before joining Hinshaw, he practiced for more than two decades at Kanaris, Stubenvoll & Heiss, P.C. where he was a shareholder.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2008 – 2010
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a large market of domestic and international insurers in a $90 million first-party coverage dispute.
- Overturned the largest verdict in Tennessee history ($204 million) and obtained judgment as a matter of law in the Court of Appeals regarding a High-Hazard Flood Zone Sub-limit issue which the Tennessee Supreme Court ultimately affirmed.
- Successfully obtained a defense verdict in an arson and fraud case in favor of the insurer and against its policyholder.
- Resolved an issue of first-impression concerning architect liability for implied warranties of inhabitability in favor of his client which was ultimately affirmed by the Illinois Supreme Court.
- Arlington Heights Youth Athletic Association
- Arlington Cowboys, Football Coach; Vice President
- Arlington Cardinals, Baseball Coach
J.D., The John Marshall Law School, 1997
B.A., DePauw University, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin