Corey Berkin represents carriers in insurance coverage and bad faith matters in litigated and non-litigated settings. He routinely advises carriers on disputes involving eight and nine-figure exposures, and he has comprehensive experience in managing first-party and third-party cases. Carriers rely on Corey for his trusted counsel, insights, and dedication to finding solutions to their most complex and intractable legal problems. Additionally, he is often requested to provide guidance on claims handling protocols and best practices compliance.
On the coverage front, Corey represents primary and excess carriers on matters involving aviation, property, automobile, general liability, and other lines of insurance. His experience includes providing coverage opinions and litigating rescission and declaratory judgment actions. On the bad faith spectrum, Corey regularly handles cases involving allegations of delay, claim undervaluation, non-acceptance of demands, failure to initiate proactive settlement discussions, inadequate communications, and wrongful denial of defense and coverage. He also counsels clients on responding to civil remedy notices, time-limited demands, and generating strategies to settle multiple-claimant disputes.
Before joining Hinshaw, Corey was a law clerk for the Honorable Beth Bloom of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. His role included drafting substantive opinions and orders and serving as a co-leader of the court's summer intern program.
Corey's background further includes practicing with a Miami-based AmLaw 100 national law firm, where he worked on a variety of criminal and civil matters. In addition to litigating insurance-related cases, Corey handled municipal law, civil rights, complex commercial disputes, and premises liability and tort actions.
During law school, Corey served as the executive editor of the Northwestern Journal of Technology & Intellectual Property.
- Dade County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Northwestern University School of Law
- Dean's List
- University of Florida
- Anderson Scholar of Highest Distinction
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Trial counsel in bad faith lawsuit in Florida federal court arising out of carrier’s alleged refusal to settle bodily injury and property damage claims in a timely manner despite two rejected proactive tenders and set-up demand.
- Represented carrier in hotly-contested Florida federal court coverage action arising out of aviation carrier’s denial of benefits based on the insured’s breach of pilot warranty and the interplay with the anti-technicality statute.
- Represented carrier in Florida state court bad faith dispute arising out of alleged belated tender in a multi-competing claimant case involving an unknown extent of injuries to co-claimants.
- Represented carrier in Florida state court coverage action involving allegations of extensive termite damages and property losses from various causes at condominium premises.
- Represented carrier in Florida federal court bad faith dispute arising from alleged misevaluation of injury claim at global settlement conference involving numerous injured individuals, including minors.
- Represented carrier in Florida federal court coverage and bad faith dispute arising from allegedly forged signature on named driver exclusion endorsement.
- Represented carrier in Florida federal court bad faith lawsuit arising from failure to settle window-related product defect claims.
- Represented carrier in Florida federal court coverage action arising from multi-million dollar judgment imposed against insured in a lawsuit arising from a drunk driving incident where the carrier was provided late notice of the underlying lawsuit.
- Represented carrier in Florida federal court coverage dispute arising out of underlying workplace harassment claims.
- Favorable settlements for carriers as extracontractual counsel in numerous third-party claims in Florida and Georgia involving allegations of catastrophic injuries, clear liability, and improper claims handling.
Outside of the office, Corey enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, kayaking and canoeing, BBQing, visiting national parks, and going to art and food festivals.
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation, Leadership Development Institute
- Northwestern Law Alumni Association
J.D., cum laude, Northwestern University School of Law, 2015
B.A., cum laude, University of Florida, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida