Edward Donohue is a business litigator who primarily represents business professionals, real estate, insurance and financial services companies. His professional liability clientele primarily consist of attorneys, realtors, insurance agents and brokers and investment professionals. Ed's institutional clients include banks, credit unions, commercial and residential real estate brokers, property managers, syndicators and loan servicers, commercial insurance brokers and specialty lines insurers.
Ed represents his clientele in a wide variety of matters, including employment disputes, real estate and investment sales practices disputes, bankruptcy, lender liability litigation and complex employee, landlord-tenant, consumer and investor class action litigation.
He has represented clients in licensing, disciplinary and other regulatory proceedings before the California Bureau of Real Estate, the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, the State Bar of California, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the California Department of Corporations. Ed provides representation before self-regulatory bodies such as the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), National Futures Association and the Board of Certified Planners.
Ed has published extensively on professional liability risks. He is a co-author of "The Lawyers Desk Guide to Preventing Legal Malpractice," which was published in 1999 by the American Bar Association's Standing Committee on Lawyers' Professional Liability. He is also a co-author of "Insurance Agency Risk Management: E&O Exposure By Lines of Business," published in 2015 by Thomson Reuters.
Additionally, Ed has represented a variety of businesses in the litigation and trial of industrial accident and other serious injury and death cases.
Ed joined Hinshaw in July 2009. He has over twenty-five years of experience representing professionals, real estate firms, financial institutions and businesses in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Honors & Awards
- AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Northern California Super Lawyers magazine, 2004, 2006 – 2009, 2011 – 2019
- July 26, 2018
- May 1, 2017Professional Lines Alert
- March 20, 2017Lawyers for the Profession®
- November 10, 2016Professional Lines Alert
- June 12, 2015Professional Lines Alert
- September 9, 2014Professional Lines Alert
- June 11, 2013Professional Lines Alert
- March 7, 2012Professional Lines Alert
- December 12, 2011
- Professional Liability
- Labor & Employment
- Real Estate Agents & Brokers Liability
- Insurance Agents & Brokers Liability
- Commercial Litigation
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Fidelity Law
- Insurance & Reinsurance
- Insurance Coverage
- Litigators for the Profession®
- Security Brokers Liability
- Technology Errors & Omission
- Life, Health, Disability & ERISA Litigation
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1981
- Associate Editor, American Criminal Law Review
B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science, Fordham University, 1978