As Counselors for the Profession, we advise lawyers and law firms—from AmLaw100 firms to small practices and solo practitioners—on every aspect of the law governing lawyers, encompassing:
- Bar Admissions, Discipline and Reinstatement
- Law Firm Creation, Merger, Withdrawal, Dissolution, Business Model/Structure advice
- Law Firm Internal Investigations
- Managing all aspects of technology and cyber risk
- Mergers and Lateral Movement, Compensation Structures
- Professional Responsibility Advice
- Risk Management (including reputation management, hotline counseling, forms drafting, opinion work, audits, policy and standards, CLE training, and management counseling)
We are thought leaders nationally in the law governing lawyers. We leverage our national knowledge to partner with our clients to proactively manage their risk, and when events arise, we guide them through stormy seas.
- Our Lawyers' Lawyer Newsletter is a leading publication in the area of ethics/professional responsibility.
- We annually host the Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference (LMRM), which has become the premier event focused on important and current developments in the law and litigation of malpractice claims, legal malpractice insurance and risk management strategies.
- March 7 – 9, 2023
- March 1 – 3, 2022
- March 2 – 4, 2021
- January 26, 2021
- December 16, 2020
- March 3 – 5, 2020
- May 23, 2022The Appointment is the Agency's First-Ever Director and General Counsel
- January 26, 2022
- August 24, 2021
- August 23, 2021
- June 11, 2021
- March 15, 2021
- California's New "Snitch" Rule Means Attorneys Must Report Other Attorneys' Misconduct to the State Bar or TribunalJuly 17, 2023California Rule of Professional Conduct, Rule 8.3
- New York Federal Judge Declines to Reconsider Decision That Continuous Representation Doctrine Does Not Toll Statute of LimitationsJuly 10, 2023
- Continuous Representation Rule Does Not Apply to Legal Malpractice Actions Says Georgia Appeals CourtJune 20, 2023
- Absolute Litigation Privilege Bars Claim for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress Even Where Conduct is UnreasonableJune 13, 2023
- Law Firm Exonerated Because an Unforeseen Change in a Party's Testimony was the Superseding Cause of the Claimed Malpractice InjuryJune 6, 2023
- May 31, 2023
- Represented acquiring firm in an affiliation with a firm in another state. Affiliation agreement addressed issues such as wind down of acquired firm’s accounts receivable and WIP, real estate leases, capital account payouts, etc. The engagement also involved amending the acquiring firm’s partnership agreement to accommodate the newly-added attorneys.
- Represented departing partner in dissolution of a law firm. In addition to drafting primary documentation, we also represented the partner in a mediation which successfully resolved the dispute.
- Multiple engagements advising law firms on amendments to partnership agreements, including those relating to compensation, management and other operational issues.
- Engagements also include advising and drafting documentation for joint ventures between law firms and related businesses (such as lobbying firms and consulting practices), with a special focus on the applicable jurisdictional regulations affecting lawyers.
- Represented an AmLaw 200 law firm in its acquisition/merger with a prominent 50-attorney regional firm.
Sale of Practices
- Represented firms and individuals in purchase and sale transactions involving sale of a legal practice. Engagements include assessment of regulatory issues, and drafting agreements to address collections.