Paul Markese has over 20 years of litigation experience defending his clients. He focuses his practice on toxic tort and environmental litigation, with considerable experience in the areas of asbestos, silica, and occupational disease claims. He defends various industrial product and equipment manufacturers, contractors, and premises owners in toxic tort personal injury claims covering a broad range of products, including pumps, valves, steam traps, boilers, turbines, and ceiling tile manufacturers. Paul oversees all aspects of the litigation process from inception to resolution for hundreds of matters per year and regularly defends clients in a variety of jurisdictions. His clients include several Fortune 500 companies, an engineering firm, and a major appliance manufacturer with offices around the globe.
Paul joined Hinshaw in 1997. He is an active member of the firm's Defense Litigation practice group and the Toxic Tort specialty group. He has also served as an instructor with Hinshaw University, the firm’s nationwide attorney training and education program.
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2023 – 2024
- Member of the Leading Lawyers Network, where he was selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in Toxic Torts Defense Laws
- Co-Author, “Nolan v. Weil-McLain: Was it Worth the Wait? Yes, if You Have a Sole Proximate Cause Defense,” 8 DRI The Voice 14, April 22, 2009
- "The Asbestos Compensation Fairness Act," DRI For the Defense, June 2003
- "Courts Reshape Conspiracy Litigation in Illinois," 1 Toxic Exposure Litigation, Issue 1, 2000
- "The Welding Industry is Holding its Breath for the Next Potential Wave of Toxic Tort Litigation: Welding Fumes," 1 Toxic Exposure Litigation, Issue 1, 2002
- August 17, 2023One Lawyer Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"