Matthew Pagano represents licensed professionals across various industries, including individuals and multinational enterprises, assisting his clients in managing risk by providing guidance on ethical practices and compliance with industry-specific laws and regulations. With his proactive approach, Matthew helps his clients avoid legal troubles before they arise. If litigation does occur, Matthew is just as comfortable protecting his clients’ interests in motion practice and at trial, be it for negligence, malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, or anything else. Indeed, judges have repeatedly singled Matthew out for his effective arguments in the courtroom, and his record of success reflects that. Matthew also devotes a portion of his practice to defending major airlines and aviation manufacturers in a diverse array of tort, contract, discrimination, and design defect matters involving commercial aircraft.
Before joining Hinshaw, Matthew defended the interests of corporations from around the world, with billions of dollars at stake in class actions and antitrust litigation. He also spent considerable time helping businesses of all sizes navigate the new legal realities of the COVID-19 pandemic, obtaining reliably positive outcomes despite the often novel questions and circumstances at issue.
While in law school, Matthew worked for the Civil Appellate Division of the Attorney General of Illinois and the Circuit Court of Cook County. He was also captain of the John J. Gibbons Moot Court Team.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Dean’s List
Matthew is a contributor to Hinshaw's Lawyers for the Profession® alerts, sharing his insights on the latest developments in legal malpractice law.
- Florida Appellate Court Reverses Summary Judgment for Attorneys Where They Could Have Remedied Prior Counsel's Mistakes and Salvaged Plaintiff's CaseDecember 20, 2022Lawyers for the Profession®
- When Aggressive Tactics Cross the Line: Illinois ARDC Suspends Lawyer Accused of Sending "Abusive and Aggressive" E-MailsOctober 7, 2022Lawyers for the Profession®
- August 1, 2022Lawyers for the Profession®
- Clients Also Have Responsibilities: Plaintiffs' Lack of Diligence Defeats Fraudulent Concealment Claim and Precludes Tolling of Statute of ReposeJune 20, 2022Lawyers for the Profession®
- Lawyer Unsuccessfully Attempts to Invoke Statute of Limitations Defense in Malpractice Claim Alleging He Missed Statute of Limitations on Underlying ClaimsMay 2, 2022Lawyers for the Profession®
- When Aggressive Settlement Tactics Go Too Far: California Appellate Court Holds Counsel's Threat to Reveal Opponent's Alleged Illegal Activity was ExtortionFebruary 8, 2022Lawyers for the Profession®
After graduating from college, Matthew was awarded a post-graduate Fulbright fellowship and spent two years living and working in Austria. While there, he slowly developed an Austrian accent when speaking German – something his German relatives still tease him about. After several visits to Vienna, he cultivated an interest in opera and now frequently attends the Houston Grand Opera and the Chicago Lyric Opera. Matthew also regularly plays Dungeons & Dragons online with attorneys at other prominent law firms around the country.
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2015
B.A., European History and German, Washington and Lee University, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas