Rita Gokhberg crafts practical solutions for businesses facing complex legal problems. Her practice primarily focuses on commercial and complex litigation—including defending employee welfare benefit plans and their insurers, administrators, and other plan fiduciaries in ERISA and non-ERISA life, health, and disability matters. Rita also handles cases involving class action and multidistrict litigation, health care litigation, consumer financial services litigation, quiet title actions, and environmental litigation. Rita leverages her experience at trial and on appeal in state and federal court to advocate for her clients' unique needs.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Rita was a judicial law clerk for the Illinois Appellate Court and contributed to the judicial decision-making process in a wide range of civil and criminal appeals.
Honors & Awards
- DePaul University College of Law
- CALI Award for Excellence in "Legal Analysis, Research, and Communication"
- CALI Award for Excellence in "Trial Advocacy"
- Chancellor's Award for Service
- Dean's List
- Represented employee welfare benefit plans and their insurers and administrators in life, health, and disability matters to successful resolution, including settlement agreements and summary judgment.
- Secured summary judgment on appeal to the Eighth Circuit for insurer in life insurance benefits matter brought under an individual policy.
- Secured summary judgment for insurer in long-term disability insurance benefits matter brought under a group policy.
- Secured repurchase of delinquent taxes on behalf of mortgagee before the Board of Commissioners.
- Court Rules LTD Benefits Properly Terminated After Plaintiff Failed to Undergo Recommended Surgery for DisabilityOctober 12, 2021The LHD/ERISA Advisor
- Insurer's Likelihood to Deny Claim Does Not Excuse Claimant's Obligation to Exhaust Administrative Remedies Prior to Filing SuitJune 14, 2021The LHD/ERISA Advisor
Outside of the office, you can find Rita traveling, eating good food, and spending time with her family and dog.
J.D., cum laude, DePaul University College of Law, 2014
B.A., DePaul University, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota