Joseph De Hope, Jr. is an accomplished attorney with over four decades of experience, focusing his practice on coverage, bad faith, professional liability defense and complex litigation in state and federal courts. Joe provides coverage opinions relating to personal and commercial lines of insurance including claims pertaining to automobile, homeowner, special investigation, commercial general liability, aviation, professional liability, employment, and directors and officers, and life and disability matters. While his practice has always been based in California, Joe addresses coverage and bad faith issues arising under the laws from coast to coast. He has handled over 500 special investigation claims (SIU) for insurers.
In his professional liability practice, Joe defends attorneys, accountants, dentists, insurance agents, real estate agents, mortgage loan brokers, appraisers, architects, professional engineers, and home owner associations.
Joe works to resolve cases by negotiation and mediation. When necessary, Joe proceeds to verdict in arbitration, trial and appellate practice.
For many years, Joe served on the State Bar of California's Committee on Professional Liability Insurance. The Committee oversaw the State Bar approved Lawyers Professional Liability Insurance Program. Joe previously served on the State Bar of California's Committee on Administration of Justice which studied and reported recommendations on proposed changes in civil procedure, court rules and administration, rules of evidence and other matters impacting the administration of justice in the civil courts.
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- “Puff, The Magic Negotiating Tool," American Bar Association Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE seminar, March 4, 2016
- "Bending the Cost Curve in Long-Tail Liability Coverage: The Berkshire Hathaway Strategy," American Bar Association Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE seminar, March 6, 2015
- November 3, 2021Law Firm Cyber Alerts
Joe is the proud father of three and grandfather of three. He plays trumpet in the Contra Costa Wind Symphony and leads an 18-piece big band (swing music) called “It's About Time.”
J.D., University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law, 1977
B.A., University of California – Davis, 1973
A.A., Diablo Valley College, 1971
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California