Jennifer Kalas is a litigator who focuses her practice in the areas of auto, premises liability, wrongful death litigation, ERISA litigation, employment litigation and general tort defense, including wrongful death and asbestos litigation. She also defends clients in consumer and class action matters.
Ms. Kalas has an active ERISA litigation practice in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska and Iowa. In her employment litigation practice she handles matters with local agencies and the Indiana EEOC, as well as matters in federal court.
She has tried cases to verdict in Indiana and Illinois state courts, as well as federal courts.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2002, she was an attorney with Ruman Clements & Holub.
- Bohemian Lawyers' Association of Chicago
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Lake County Bar Association, Former Member
- Past Secretary
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, Local Rules Committee
Honors & Awards
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2023
A selection of Ms. Kalas's reported cases includes:
- Wertz v. Asset Acceptance, LLC, 5 N.E.3d 1174 (Ind. App. 2014)
- Hale v. SS Liquors, ___ N.E.2d ___ (Ind. App. 2011)
- Johnson v. Blackwell, 885 N.E.2d 25 (Ind. App. 2008)
- Moreton v. Auto-Owners Ins., 859 N.E.2d 1252 (Ind. App. 2007)
- Rosentrater v. Rosentrater, 708 N.E.2d 628 (Ind. App. 1999)
- Biereichel v. Smith, 693 N.E.2d (Ind. App. 1998)
- Biereichel v. Smith, 704 N.E.2d 456 (Ind. App. 1998)
- Alonso v. City of Hammond, 648 N.E.2d 1221 (Ind. App. 1995)
- Co-Presenter, "Engineering Statutes and Rules for Indiana Professional Engineers," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, Webinar, May 27, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "Professional Engineering Practice Act and Rules for Indiana PE's," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, Webinar, May 9, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Reflection on the Shipley v. Tyco Case & the Myriad of Issues Presented," ICLEF Advanced Worker's Compensation: A Masters Series Seminar CLE, March 7, 2018
- "Indiana Statutes and Rules for Professional Engineers," webinar, Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, Springfield, Illinois, May 2016
- "Professional Engineering Practice Act and Rules for Indiana PE's," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, May 2014
- "Ethics Rules for Indiana Professional Engineers," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, Webinar, April 2012
- Author of "Indiana's Peer Review Privilege Statute and Its Effect on a Claim of Negligent Credentialing: Analysis and Proposed Statutory Reform," 27 Valparaiso University Law Review 111 (1993)
- Eighty-Seven Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2023 Editions of Best Lawyers in America and Ones to WatchAugust 18, 2022Two Lawyers Also Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- May 6, 2020Indiana federal court (Southern District) holds $0.01 rounding error in settlement offer was immaterial and did not violate §1692e of the FDCPA
- Texas District Court Upholds Denial of LTD Benefits Because Claimant Did Not Prove Functional Limitations Within Benefit Waiting PeriodSeptember 22, 2021The LHD/ERISA Advisor
- June 7, 2021The LHD/ERISA Advisor
- April 18, 2016
J.D., summa cum laude, Valparaiso University School of Law, 1993
- Articles Editor, Valparaiso University Law Review
B.S., summa cum laude, University of Evansville, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana