Heather LaSalle Alexis defends the interests of her clients in matters concerning bankruptcy and creditors' rights, as well as complex commercial loan workouts, enforcement matters, and commercial disputes. She regularly advises both secured and unsecured creditors in consumer and commercial bankruptcy proceedings.
In addition to handling all aspects of bankruptcy litigation, Heather represents clients in matters involving bankruptcy law and has extensive experience dealing with escrow, repossession, and bankruptcy accounting issues. She also helps lenders navigate the negotiation and drafting of complex workouts, forbearances, amendments, extensions, and waivers involving real estate loans, vessel loans, agented and syndicated loans, as well as asset-based lending loan facilities.
Heather also represents creditors in matters involving the sequestration/replevin of financed equipment, the recovery of leased equipment under the Louisiana Lease of Movables Act, and deficiency actions. She spent one year as a secondee in the Special Assets legal department of a large national bank working with distressed loans in both the middle market and energy sectors.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Advisory Board for the Southwest
- International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Louisiana Chapter, Co-Chair
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow, 2016
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Section, Secretary/Treasurer
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Rising Stars list by Louisiana Super Lawyers magazine, 2016 – 2017
- Named to the "Ones to Watch" list by New Orleans CityBusiness, 2017
- Panelist, “Latest Trends in Auto Finance: Insights on Key Issues Facing Lenders Today,” Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Virtual Event, November 30, 2021
- Co-Presenter, "ABI Commission on Consumer Bankruptcy Report," 2019 Consumer Finance Legal Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 15, 2019
- Panelist, "Ethics Roundtable," ABI Southwest Bankruptcy Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 8, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "FCRA and the CFPB: Managing Credit Reporting Disputes, Litigation, and Bankruptcy Reporting; Metro 2 Updates," 16th Annual Consumer Finance Legal Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 12, 2017
- Co-Presenter, "Hot Topics in Auto Finance Servicing: Onboarding, Repos, and Bankruptcy Challenges, 16th Annual Consumer Finance Legal Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 12, 2017
- "Secured Lending Basics, Enforcement Options, Executory Contracts in Bankruptcy, and Select Bankruptcy Plan Issues," Presentation to Financial Institution Client, August 23 and 24, 2017
- Co-Author, "Top 11 Tips for Lenders Navigating Commercial Loan Modifications in Response to the COVID-19 Outbreak," Client Alert, March 24, 2020
- Hinshaw Adds Five-Partner Group with Consumer Financial Services, Bankruptcy, and Commercial Litigation Experience, and Extends Southern Roots with Louisiana PresenceJuly 20, 2020Team brings diversified experience with consumer finance regulatory compliance, commercial litigation, bankruptcy and restructuring matters.
In her spare time, Heather enjoys spending time with her husband and daughter and watching LSU football games (Go Tigers!).
J.D., cum laude, Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, 2007
M.P.A., Louisiana State University, 2000
B.A., Louisiana State University, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana