Alexander Baggio advises businesses in a wide-range of commercial litigation, labor and employment disputes, and both ERISA and non-ERISA life, health and disability matters. With a background that includes representing employees in class and collective actions as a plaintiff attorney, Alex brings a unique perspective to the defense of his clients. He has worked on class and collective actions across the country, including those involving Rule 23 and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), as well as claims arising from employment contracts.
Involved in all phases of the litigation process, Alex partners with his clients to not only ensure they are informed, but provide them with solutions tailored to their case and business.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Alex practiced at a Minneapolis-based employment law firm where he represented employees seeking recovery of their unpaid wages.
Following his completion of law school, Alex was a law clerk to the Honorable Gary R. Larson (ret.) and the Honorable Janet N. Poston (ret.), Hennepin County District Court.
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, 2009–Present
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member, 2009–Present
- Panelist, "Joint Employment, Wage and Hour, and Other Legislative News," Hinshaw's 26th Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 27, 2022
Alex serves as an Editor for Hinshaw's Employment Law Observer blog. His additional publications include:
- Contributing Editor, "The Family and Medical Leave Act" Annual Supplement, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, May 2017–Present
- Co-Author, "The Proposed White-Collar Exemption Regulations and consideration for Practitioners," 2016 Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 2016
- Author, "Minnesota" Chapter, Wage and Hour Laws: A State-by-State Survey, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, June 2015–Present
- Contributing Editor, "The Fair Labor Standards Act" Annual Supplement, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, October 2014–Present
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Latest CDC COVID-19 Guidance Corey J. Swinick, Alexander M. Baggio
- Minneapolis Earned Sick and Safe Time Ordinance Upheld by Minnesota Supreme Court
- NLRB Serves Up Guidance for Restaurants on Mandatory Arbitration Agreements in Post-Epic Systems Era
- DOL Proposes Tweaks to FLSA Regular Rate Regulations, Changes Won't Impose New Regulatory Requirements
- It's Legal—Local Ordinances Can Raise Minimum Wage Above Minnesota State Statute
Employment Law Observer
- August 7, 2020Insights for Employers
- CARES Act Provides Massive Financial Relief to Small Businesses and Expands Unemployment Benefits for WorkersApril 1, 2020Insights for Employers
Outside of work, Alex enjoys cycling, lifting weights, and reading.
J.D., cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 2009
B.A., Political Science and Economics, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin