Hinshaw Issues 2022 Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Report
"The sum of the parts makes up the whole"
The U.S. law firm of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP is proud to announce the publication of the 2022 edition of the Hinshaw Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Report. We know our clients benefit from the diverse teams we offer, and this report catalogues the advancements the firm has made to be proactively inclusive in our diversity initiatives. It also includes an update on concrete accomplishments the firm achieved pursuant to goals set by the Hinshaw Black Attorneys Matter Referendum, the firm's perfect score on the 2021 Corporate Equality Index, a strategic schedule of DEI programming, and a restatement of the firm's three-fold objectives of (1) Attorney Development, (2) Relationship Building, and (3) Civic Engagement.
"At Hinshaw, we like to use the phrase 'the sum of the parts makes up the whole'," said D.L. Morriss, Hinshaw's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Partner. "We believe no individual or organization can succeed in its mission when operating in isolation. Rather, progress is attained through a shared commitment to learn—and apply such learning—to tangible policies and practices that make a difference."
"We consider all our people 'change agents'," added Diversity Lead Alexandria Ray. "From the executive boardroom to junior employees, lawyers and staff alike, all have a role to play in cultivating the culture of inclusion which we wish to see replicated throughout the firm."
Highlights of the firm's DEI initiatives in 2021 include
- Substantial growth in representation of diverse attorneys in key management and leadership roles across the firm as well as attorney promotions;
- Multiple cultural competency trainings on implicit bias, microaggressions, and racial equity offered firmwide and required for firm management;
- Signatory to Mansfield Rule 5.0 to remain publicly accountable in diversity initiatives;
- Making diversity contributions a key component of attorney self-review and practice group goal setting;
- Enhancing marketing efforts to include a broader array of diverse talent to meet client needs; and
- Concentrated recruiting and retention initiatives to ensure pipeline growth of diverse talent.
Download the full report and find more data on our DEI efforts in our 2022 ABA Model Diversity Survey.