Marcia Mueller concentrates her practice in the areas of estate planning, tax qualified retirement benefit plans governed by ERISA, non-qualified deferred compensation plans, organization and operation of charitable trusts and foundations, tax-related matters and financial planning projects.
Ms. Mueller also handles aspects of corporate representation, including helping her clients structure and create appropriate operating entities and advising closely held businesses in the area of succession planning.
Ms. Mueller is the Leader of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLPs Estate Planning Practice Group. She has completed several significant senior financial training programs and holds related professional certifications. She graduated with honors from the American Bankers Association’s National Graduate Trust School at Northwestern University, and has been awarded the designation of Certified Retirement Plan Specialist (CRPS). Ms. Mueller also completed the Certified Financial Planner Professional Education Program through the College for Financial Planning, Denver, Colorado, in 1998.
Prior to joining Hinshaw in November 1995, Ms. Mueller was a Vice President and Trust Officer with First of America Trust Company, and had been designated Regional Employee Benefit Specialist. While working in the trust industry Ms. Mueller had more than 16 years of trust administration experience, which encompassed administering a variety of qualified retirement plans, including ESOPs, 401(k) Plans, other Defined Contribution Plans, Defined Benefit Plans, IRAs, personal trusts, and estates.
- American Bar Association
- Taxation Section
- Real Property
- Probate and Trust Law Section
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Illinois Bar Association
- Business Advice and Financial Planning Section
- Elder Law Section
- Trusts and Estates Section
- Federal Taxation Section
- Employee Benefits Section
- Winnebago County Bar Association
- Estate Section
- Employee Benefits Association of Northern Illinois
Honors & Awards
- Leading Lawyers Magazine' "Top" lists honors include:
- 2016 Consumer Edition: Top 100 Downstate Consumer Lawyers, Top 100 Women Consumer Lawyers
- 2015 Women's Edition: Top 10 Women Downstate Illinois Lawyers, Top 50 Women Downstate Illinois Lawyers
- 2013 Consumer Edition: Top 100 Downstate Consumer Lawyers, Top 100 Women Consumer Lawyers
- 2012 Women's Edition: Top 10 Women Downstate Illinois Lawyers, Top 50 Women Downstate Illinois Lawyers, Top 100 Women Lawyers in Illinois, Top 100 Women Consumer Lawyers in Illinois
- 2011 Consumer Edition: Top 50 Women Consumer Lawyers in Illinois, and Top 50 Downstate Illinois Consumer Lawyers
- 2010 Women’s Edition: Top 10 Women Downstate Illinois Lawyers, Top 50 Women Downstate Illinois Lawyers, Top 100 Women Consumer Lawyers in Illinois
- 2009 Consumer Edition: Top 50 Women Consumer Lawyers in Illinois
- 2009 Women’s Edition: Top 10 Women Downstate Illinois Lawyers Downstate, Top 100 Women Consumer Lawyers in Illinois
- 2008: Top 50 Leading Women Consumer Lawyers in Illinois
- 2007: Top 50 Leading Women Lawyers in Illinois in all areas of law
- Recognized by her peers as a Leading Lawyer in the categories of Employee Benefits Law and Trusts, Wills & Estate Planning Law
- Subject of a profile, “Tax, Estate Clients Benefit from Her Laser Focus,” in the November 2010 Women’s Edition, of Leading Lawyers Network Magazine
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2005)
- "Working With Professional Advisors Using a Philanthropic Planning Model," Moderator, Association of Fundraising Professionals, Rockford, Illinois, November 2014.
- "Provide and Protect, Important Life and Death Decisions," for Christ United Methodist Church, Rockford, Illinois, August 2014.
- "A to Z for Bank ESOPs," CBAI CEO Forum, Illinois, November 2013.
- "ESOPs from A to Z," U.S. Trust, Bank of America, Private Wealth Management, Chicago, Illinois, October 2013.
- "A to Z for Bank ESOPs," CBAI's 39th Annual Convention & Expo, Springfield, Illinois, September 2013.
- “Charitable and Planned Giving Issues,” Northern Illinois Center for Non-Profit Excellence's "Legally Speaking" seminar, Rockford, Illinois, April 2012.
- “2010 Tax Relief Act,” Savant Capital Management, Inc., Estate Planning Roundtable Discussion, Rockford, Illinois, March 2011.
- “Current Estate Planning Issues (Including How to Prevent the IRS or Other ‘Undesirables’ from Being your Primary Beneficiaries),” Hinshaw’s 2005 Breakfast Seminar Series, Rockford, Illinois, April 2005.
- "Charitable Gift Policies: Not All Gifts Are Good – Just Ask the Trojans,” The Voice, Rockford Chamber of Commerce, July 2012.
- “Retirement Plans and IRAs,” chapter author, “Postmortem Estate Planning,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2014 and 2010 edition.
- December 19, 2017Estate Planning Alert
- December 19, 2016
- December 15, 2015
- December 2, 2014
- December 11, 2013
- September 4, 2013Estate Planning Alert
- January 3, 2013Estate Planning Alert
- November 27, 2012
- November 16, 2012Estate Planning Alert
- December 13, 2011
- January 18, 2011Estate Planning Alert
- Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 Amends Federal Estate, Gift and Generation-Skipping Tax LawsDecember 21, 2010Estate Planning Alert
- December 10, 2010
Laurent House Foundation, Inc., a house museum featuring a Frank Lloyd Wright designed home in Rockford, Illinois, Member of the Board of Directors
- Northern Illinois Planned Giving Council, Past Member of the Board of Directors
- Rockford Symphony Orchestra, Past Board Member
- Greenwich Village Art Fair, a benefit for the Rockford Art Museum, Steering Committee
- Rockford Police Pension Board, Trustee by Mayoral Appointment
- Rockford East Cherry Valley Rotary Club
- Rockford Chamber of Commerce Lead 360, a group of woman business leaders, Member
- Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden, Served on the Board of Directors
- Honored with Klehm’s President’s Award – Certificate of Appreciation for her hours of commitment and service (2010)
- New American Theater, Served on Board of Directors
- P.H.A.S.E. Incorporated, Served on the Board of Directors (now know as Remedies, Inc.)
- Wesley Willows Corporation, Served on the Board of Directors
J.D., with distinction, The John Marshall Law School, 1978
- Member, the Order of John Marshall and the Gavel Society
B.A., University of Missouri, 1975
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois