Schuyler Kraus represents mortgage lenders, servicers and investors in state and federal actions alleging mortgage fraud, predatory lending, violations of state and federal consumer protection statutes and claims brought under TILA, RESPA and HOEPA. Mr. Kraus also has extensive experience representing mortgage servicers and mortgage holders in contested foreclosures, including claims relating to servicer compliance with HAMP and loss mitigation efforts. Mr. Kraus's federal practice includes the representation of secured creditors in adversary proceedings and objections to claims filed in New York Bankruptcy Courts.
Mr. Kraus also advises and represents attorneys and law firms in ethics, disciplinary, malpractice and risk management matters. While in private practice, Mr. Kraus represented numerous corporations and insurance carriers in both state and federal litigation, including management of a Fortune 100 company's mass tort litigation in New York State.
Mr. Kraus joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in July 2004. Previously, he was an associate with the New York law firm of Edwards & Angell LLP. From 1999 to 2003, he served as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department, Office of the Corporation Counsel, where he was assigned to the Bronx Family Court.
While in law school, Mr. Kraus clerked at the Family Law Center in New York, the Manhattan District Attorney's Office and the United States Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York, where he worked in the White Collar Crime Unit.
Prior to his career as an attorney, Mr. Kraus was Deputy Director of the County Court Victim/Witness Unit at the Boulder County District Attorney's Office in Boulder, Colorado. He served as liaison between district attorneys and the victims of violent crime with regard to all court proceedings.
Mr. Kraus is a member of Hinshaw's Management Committee and Executive Committee. He previously served as co-chair of the firm's Consumer Financial Services Practice Group.
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- “Foreclosure: Emerging Issues, Servicing Regulations and HAMP," CLE sponsored by New York State Bar Association, Albany, New York, October 2011.
- “Lawyers at Risk: Liabilities Arising from the Foreclosure and Mortgage Litigation Crisis,” West LegalEdcenter live webcast, October 2011.
- “Review of Recent Case Law on Attorney Accounts Stated Fee Claims,” West LegalEdcenter live webcast, June 2009.
- May 18, 2016Appointments Serve to Re-Generate and Add to Diversity of Firm Leadership
- May 18, 2016
- January 24, 2013
- Cardozo Advocates for Battered Women at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Co-Founder and Co-President
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, 1999
B.A., University of Colorado at Boulder, 1994
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York