Aimee Delaney concentrates her practice in the area of labor and employment. She regularly counsels employers on all aspects of the employment relationship to assist human resources professionals, management and in-house counsel on matters spanning from hire through termination, including leave and disability considerations, misclassification issues, employee misconduct and other disciplinary matters. Ms. Delaney also develops and provides management and employee training in anti-harassment, anti-discrimination and a variety of other employment law related topics to minimize potential employment liability and ensure compliance with state and federal laws governing the workplace.
Ms. Delaney's practice also includes representing employers in litigated matters, including the defense of claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act and the many state laws which serve as counter-parts to these statutes. She has defended single-plaintiff and class actions alleging complex discrimination litigation. Ms. Delaney's traditional labor law practice includes representing management in grievances and labor arbitrations.
Ms. Delaney joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2001. She serves as the leader of the firm's Labor and Employment Practice Group.
Ms. Delaney teaches employment law and labor law at Loyola University of Chicago School of Law.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by her peers as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Employment Law (2013–2015)
- Recipient of the Jury Verdict Reporter "Trial Lawyer Excellence Award," 2012
- Selected by her peers and named by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer Magazine as one of the top "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch," 2011
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine
- "Defensive Documentation," Home Care Association of America, Elmhurst, Illinois, April 18, 2017.
- "Anti-Harassment and Inclusion Training Program," Hinshaw University an In-house Program, Chicago, Illinois, February 2, 2017.
- "Final Ruling to New Beginnings," in-house program, Chicago, Illinois, January 19, 2017.
- "The Labor & Employment Year in Review," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2016.
- "Employment Law Update 2016: New Rules, New Challenges," 2016 Illinois Private Duty Fall Symposium, Normal, Illinois, September 15, 2016.
- "New Dol Overtime Rules Workshop," Illinois Restaurant Association, Chicago, Illinois, June 21, 2016.
- "The Labor & Employment Year in Review," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2015.
"Legal Issues in Hiring — A Workshop", Office of the Illinois Attorney General, Chicago, Illinois, May 2015.
"2015 Health Care and Employment Law Update", College of Imaging Administrators, Lisle, Illinois, May 2015.
"Brave New World: Employee Access to Employer Email Systems," national webinar, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, February 2015.
- "What to Expect When Your Employee's Expecting in 2015: Important New Rules for Illinois Employers," national webinar, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, December 2014.
"The Labor & Employment Year in Review," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2014.
"The Labor & Employment Year in Review," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2013.
- “Labor and Employment Law Update for Health Care Employers,” Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- “Criminal, Financial and General Background Checks,” Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2012.
- “The Year in Review: 2012,” Hinshaw’s Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2012.
- “2011 Year in Review: Cases & Statutes,” Hinshaw’s Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, October 2011.
- “Deposition of the HR Professional,” an interactive workshop session, Hinshaw’s Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, October 2011.
- “Significant Developments Affecting Labor & Employment Law,” DuPage Society for Human Resource Management, Lisle, Illinois, April 2011.
- “Significant Court Decisions Affecting Labor & Employment Law,” Hinshaw’s 2010 Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2010.
- “The Year in Review,” Hinshaw’s 2009 Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2009.
- “Family and Medical Leave Act,” Hinshaw Executive Breakfast Briefing, Chicago, Illinois, December 2008.
- “The Prior Year in Review: Important Court Decisions,” Hinshaw’s 2008 Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Oak Brook, Illinois, November 2008.
- “Staffing and Legal Trends in Employee Leasing, Temporary Employees, etc.,” Hinshaw’s “Effectively Dealing with Current Labor & Employment Issues” seminar, Chicago, Illinois, September 2007.
- “Whistleblowing and Retaliation Issues: What Are Your Rights and Their Rights?” Hinshaw’s “Effectively Dealing with Current Labor & Employment Issues” seminar, Chicago, Illinois, September 2006.
The Labor & Employment Year in Review
"Criminal Background Checks a Dilemma For Employers," author, Today's General Counsel, October 2015.
- "How an Employer Can Minimize Employment Discrimination Risks," co-author, Chapter 13 of Employment Discrimination 2014 Edition, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education Press, June 2014.
- August 11, 2017
- Aimee Delaney Discusses Trend of State and Local Government Bans on Employer Inquiries into Job Candidate Pay HistoryJune 28, 2017
- June 9, 2017
- June 2, 2017
- February 1, 2017Human Resource Executive
- January 29, 2017Safety + Health Magazine
- January 19, 2017
- November 29, 2016
- Employer Alert: EEO-1 Pay Data Collection on Hold
- Dear Employers, Familiarize Yourself with OSHA's Electronic Injury Tracking Application Before December 1, 2017
- Electronic OSHA Reporting Deadline Delayed For Now, or Forever?
- OSHA Likely to Postpone Electronic Injury and Illness Reporting
- Historic Seventh Circuit Decision Gives LGBTQ Employees More Protections
- Federal Contractors and Sub-contractors Win in Rollback of "Blacklisting" Rule
- TREND WATCH: Philadelphia Becomes the First City in America to Ban Inquiries into a Job Applicant’s Wage History
- Texas Court Declines to Enjoin OSHA's Anti-Retaliation Rules Elizabeth A. Odian, Aimee E. Delaney
- Cook County Passes Paid Sick Leave
- Portion of Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces Executive Order Blocked
- EEOC Issues Final Regulations on Wellness Programs Anthony E. Antognoli, Aimee E. Delaney
- Haze Lifting on Employer's Rights and Medical Marijuana
- EEOC Settles Background Check Suit with BMW, Leaves Employers Still Without Guidance
- Using Criminal Convictions in the hire Process: A Hobson's Choice for Employers?
- Dazed but Slightly less Confused: Employer's Drug Testing Policy Prevails In Termination Challenge
- Chicago Minimum wage hike is here: are you Ready?
- OSHA Issues Guidance on Transgender Workers and Workplace Restrooms
- Supreme Court Vacates fourth Circuit in UPS Pregnancy Discrimination case, but Rejects EEOC's "Most Favored Employee" Argument
- Court Upholds Contractual Six-Month Filing Deadline for Age Discrimination Claim
Employment Law Observer
- July 25, 2017
- June 30, 2017
- June 12, 2017Long-Term Care Alert
- June 1, 2017
- June 23, 2016Employment Practices Alert
- June 2, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- September 1, 2015
- July 1, 2015
- June 12, 2015Employment Practices Alert
- April 1, 2015
- December 18, 2014Employment Practices Alert
- October 1, 2013
- February 2, 2012
- January 3, 2012
- January 3, 2011
- November 1, 2010
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1998
B.A., University of Iowa, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas