Maria Quintero devotes her practice to helping insurers with all phases of litigation and appeals, as well as with the assessment and evaluation of coverage issues and determinations under first-party and third-party policies. Ms. Quintero also advises insurers on a range of matters, including claims handling and insurance coverage.
Ms. Quintero joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 2011. Previously she was for five years an associate at Hayes Scott Bonino Ellingson & McLay LLP, in Redwood City, California.
Ms. Quintero began her legal career in 2002 as an attorney advisor in the chambers of Judge Gerald Etchingham, Office of Administrative Law Judges, U.S. Department of Labor. She spent a year as an associate in the Law Offices of Tharpe & Howell, and from 2005-2006, Ms. Quintero was an associate in the San Jose, California office of Ropers, Majeski, Kohn & Bentley.
During law school, she was a judicial clerk in the Office of Staff Attorneys for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
In addition to her other law school accomplishments, Ms. Quintero graduated in the top 11 percent of her class. She was a member of the Dean’s List, and received certificates of excellence in Legal Analysis and Research and Writing, as well as the Witkins Award for Alternative Dispute Resolution. Ms. Quintero was a semifinalist in Honors Moot Court. She was the recipient of a number of the Law/Faculty Scholarships and the Eleven Easy Pieces Scholarship.
- Association of Defense Counsel
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Insurance Bad Faith Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- San Francisco County Bar Association
- Northern California Association of Defense Counsel
- Board Member (2013–2014)
- Diversity Committee, Co-Chair
- Insurance Subcommittee, Co-Chair (2013–2014)
Representative examples of Ms. Quintero’s successful defense counsel include the following:
- Secured a defense verdict in a month-long jury trial involving claims of bad faith and products liability. Secured an award of expert witness costs and fees in favor of the defendant insurer.
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment involving a $900,000 claim for coverage under an additional insured endorsement.
- Prevailed on a motion for judgment on the pleadings involving constitutional and common law claims for due process.
- Successfully opposed a writ of certiori in the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Prevailed challenging a complaint alleging improper use of policy proceeds under a directors and officers policy in a case involving more than 50 claimants.
- Argued in the California Court of Appeal and prepared briefs for the successful affirmation of judgment on a motion for summary judgment in favor of an insurer.
Ms. Quintero presentations Include:
"Design Professionals: Crafting A Plan For Evolving Risk," Second Annual Axis Construction Conference, San Francisco, California, October 2014.
- "Cumis Counsel: Current Coverage and Defense Issues," Northern California Association of Defense Counsel, Oakland, California, July 2014.
- "California Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations," at Colony Insurance Company in Greenwood Village, Colorado, October 2013.
Ms. Quintero is the author of:
"Why The Sky Is No Longer The Limit: Using Drones In Insurance Investigations", published in Daily Journal, 2014 Insurance Supplement.
"Commercial Property", author, Insurance Agency Risk Management: E&O Exposures By Line of Business, 2014 Edition (Thomson Reuters).
- "Independent Counsel: Walk-In or Reservations Required?" co-author, Litigation Management Magazine, CLM, Winter 2014.
- “Cloning Californians? Report of the California Advisory Committee on Human Cloning and Recent Cloning-Related Legislation,” published in 18 Santa Clara Computer & High Tech. L.J. 417 (2002).
- July 1, 2014
- January 8, 2014Litigation Management Magazine
Maria enjoys college football, art, action movies, creative writing and Lake Tahoe, California. She is a San Francisco Giants fan.
Ms. Quintero is a volunteer attorney advisor and trial advocacy teacher for the Saratoga High School Moot Court Program.
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2002; Research Editor, Santa Clara Computer and High Technology Law Journal
B.A., Science & Technology, Pomona College, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California