Annie Santos focuses her legal practice on commercial litigation and labor and employment. She represents and guides businesses, employers, public entities, and insurers in civil litigation matters involving business disputes, contract disputes, life, health and disability (ERISA) claims, real estate disputes, products liability, employment issues, and civil rights issues. Ms. Santos has been involved in complex litigation matters, including serving as class counsel in a class action matter advocating for the civil liberties of individuals with developmental disabilities.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in March 2014, Ms. Santos was a litigation associate at another Minneapolis firm where she gained significant experience in federal court litigation in a variety of areas.
During law school, Ms. Santos spent a summer studying abroad at the University of Rome “La Sapienza” in Italy, in its ADR Institute program. In addition to her other accomplishments during law school, she participated in the New York City Bar Moot Court Competition and served as the Comments-and-Notes Editor of the Journal of Law and Public Policy. Ms. Santos was also a director for her law school's Board of Advocates.
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Santos was a compliance specialist for an international brokerage firm in San Diego, California.
- Federal Bar Association, Member (2008–Present)
- Minnesota Chapter FBA Annual Seminar Planning Committee, Member (2013–2014).
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member (2008–Present)
- American Bar Association, Member (2008–Present)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine in 2015–2016.
- Multimillion dollar settlement for individuals with developmental disabilities who were systematically subjected to restraint and seclusion
- Obtained summary judgment for contractor in multimillion dollar construction dispute
- "FERPA Compliance for Schools," National Business Institute Webinar Series, February 2014.
- "Special Education Laws Made Simple," National Business Institute Continuing Education Series, June 2013.
- "Investigation of Employment Discrimination and Harassment Claims," Minnesota School Boards Association Annual Leadership Conference, January 2013.
- "School Safety and Anti-Bullying Update," Minnesota School Boards Association Annual Leadership Conference, January 2013.
- "MSBA Style Show: Can They Really Wear That to School?" Minnesota School Boards Association Annual Leadership Conference, January 2012.
- "Intellectual Property Rights of Public Schools," Minnesota School Boards Association Annual Leadership Conference, January 2009 and January 2010.
- Legal Issues Involving the Possession of Telematics Data, January 2014
- "Nutrition and the Lunchroom," American School Board Journal, January 2013
- "Emergency Plan Inclusion," American School Board Journal, December 2011
- Accessing Disability Services in Minnesota: A Guide to Selected Resources, WCCO-TV Autism Resources (wcco.com) (contributing author), 2008
In additional to her legal work, Annie also advocates for the protection of animals from cruelty, particularly farm animals, and promotes compassionate living for all.
- Volunteer Attorney, Federal Pro Se Project
- Director, University of St. Thomas School of Law Alumni Association Board
J.D., University of St. Thomas School of Law, 2008
B.A., Mathematics, University of St. Thomas, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota