D.L. Morriss concentrates his practice on the representation and defense of regional and Fortune 500 financial institutions in commercial litigation claims involving tort, contract and statutory violations involving complex commercial foreclosure, guaranty and loan liability actions, as well as post-judgment collections. He also has handled matters involving UCC litigation, contract disputes and bankruptcy and creditors' rights.
Mr. Morriss also regularly represents companies in general litigation matters, such as commercial landlords and tenants in property management disputes; and national loan servicers in workout matters.
His professional liability practice includes the defense of accountants and accounting firms, and also lawyers and law firms in their professional liability matters. He also handles director and officer liability claims.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Morris serves as the Diversity and Inclusion Partner of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP. Mr. Morriss is a member of the firm's Associate Hiring Committee and Social Media Committee, and Hinshaw University's Planning Committee.
In 2015, Mr. Morriss was selected as a participant for the Leadership Greater Chicago Class of 2016 Fellowship. In 2013, he was selected as a participant for the Chicago Committee’s inaugural "Rate My Pitch" program.
Mr. Morriss joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP as an associate in September 2008. Previously he was a summer associate with the firm during the summer of 2007 and a law clerk since September 2007.
In addition to clerking at Hinshaw, Mr. Morriss was a law clerk for one year with the Office of the General Counsel at DePaul University.
Among his law school achievements, Mr. Morriss was a member of the Black Law Student Association and a recipient of a CALI Award for Judicial & Scholarly Writing.
During his undergraduate studies, he was a teaching assistant in the areas of social and cross-cultural psychology. He was also the President of the William Osborne Society of Wheaton College from 2002 to 2003.
- The Joffrey Ballet, Board of Directors (2016–Present)
Leadership Greater Chicago, Fellow (2016)
- Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee (2014–2016)
- Chicago Chamber of Commerce, Emerging Leaders (2014–Present)
Chicago Inn of Court, Member (2014–Present)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as an "Emerging Leader" by Leading Lawyers Magazine (2015–2017)
–A selection of Mr. Morriss' representative matters includes:
- Obtained high value judgments in large, contested, commercial foreclosure actions.
- Defends and has obtained dismissal of lender liability cases involving claims of tort, contract and UCC violations.
- Assisted a pro se criminal defendant and argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit in a case involving allegations of mail fraud and arson.
- "Hot Topics in Lending," Commercial Loans - Planning for Summer Heat Seminar, live video conference, July 2013.
- "Without A Leg To Stand On: Establishing Standing in Illinois Commercial Foreclosures," in-house client presentation, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, March 2013.
- "Checks, Fraud and the UCC," an in-house client presentation in Dallas, Texas in February 2012.
Mr. Morriss has assisted in writing several Hinshaw Employment Law Alerts. He is a co-author of "Key Issues With Employee Dishonesty and Employee Theft Coverage," a paper that was presented at the Fidelity Bond & Crime Coverage Conference in New York, in December 2004.
- August 8, 2017
- April 17, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- July 1, 2015
- April 1, 2015
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boys & Girls Club
- Board Member (2010–2013)
- Programming Chair (2013)
- Breakthrough Young Professionals
- Board Member (2015–Present)
- Events Committee
- Chicago Public Schools, Real Men Read, Volunteer (2011)
- Children's Relief International, Food Distribution Donor (2012–Present)
- Soul City Church, Volunteer (2014–Present)
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2008
- Recipient, Black Law Student Association Scholarship and Law Achievement Scholarship
- Member, Dean’s List
B.A., Psychology, Wheaton College, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois