Professionals, business owners, and organizations have trusted Thomas O'Carroll for over 20 years to provide prompt responses to their needs, give guidance in an unfamiliar legal landscape, and act in a way to make his client's problems his own. Mr. O'Carroll is an Illinois trial attorney who has dedicated his career to defending professionals and organizations in complex civil litigation and regulatory matters. His client base has included professionals within the medical and legal professions, hospitals, long-term care facilities, law firms, banks, credit agencies, and large and small companies of all types. He has resolved hundreds of disputes, has an unbeaten trial record in defense cases alleging professional liability, and has provided his clients with services to avoid liability, minimize exposure, and transfer risk.
Mr. O'Carroll has been a frequent speaker at CLE presentations and has been published on such topics as technology in the courtroom, witness presentation, new case analysis, and managing complex civil litigation claims.
Mr. O'Carroll's diverse practice includes experience handling claims involving medical malpractice, attorney malpractice, products liability, breach of contract, general business litigation, employment disputes, fraud, libel & slander, and a host of other claims important to serving the needs of his clients. He has also defended professionals in administrative disciplinary hearings before the IDFPR, and has handled a number of third party payor audits against medical providers including Medicare Appeals.
Mr. O'Carroll is a graduate of Tulane University where he obtained a Bachelor's Degree in both history and political science. He graduated from DePaul University School of Law, with honors, where he served as a member of the DePaul Law Review, the Moot Court Society, and an editor of the Health Law Journal.
- Leading Lawyer 2015-2016 (Based on Peer Survey from Leadinglawyers.com)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel (Board of Directors- At Large Position)
- Department of Certified Arbitrator for Cook County Municipal Division
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Catholic Lawyers Guild
Mr. O'Carroll has helped clients facing litigation on both state and federal levels and successfully tried several cases though verdict. A selection of his representative trials includes:
- Reynolds v. Primary Care Physician (May 2016) Mr. O'Carroll defended a primary care physician in a difficult and high exposure case where the Plaintiff obtained a verdict in excess of $30 million against Co-Defendants but dismissed Mr. O'Carroll's client before jury selection.
- Dunn v. Neurosurgeon (August 2015) Mr. O'Carroll obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a neurosurgeon and his group practice in a case where the Plaintiff alleged an improper surgical technique to the patient's cervical spine. Plaintiff's attorney asked for an award in a range of $5-6 million but the jury returned a defense verdict following a 3 week trial.
- Frontier v. Hospital (November 2014) Mr. O'Carroll obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a hospital in a wrongful death case involving bed sores.
- Bengston v. Chiropractor (September 2014) Mr. O'Carroll defended a chiropractor and his practice in a wrongful death claim alleging failure to diagnose DVT and pulmonary embolism. The jury rejected Plaintiff's counsel's request for $5.7 million and returned a defense verdict following a two week trial.
- Murray v. Primary Care Physician (August 2014) Mr. O'Carroll defended a primary care physician in a claim for failure to diagnose and treat osteomyelitis resulting in amputation. Plaintiff's counsel dismissed Mr. O'Carroll's client after opening statement.
- Gomez v. Hospital (April 2012) Mr. O'Carroll obtained a favorable verdict for a significantly reduced figure in a claim of wrongful death against an emergency room physician alleging failure to diagnose an aortic dissection.
In addition to the above cases, Mr. O’Carroll has also represented clients before the Illinois Supreme Court, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, and has been admitted to practice on a pro hac vice basis in many states throughout the United States.
- "Tapping Into the Self-Insured Employer Market," Outpatient Surgery Magazine, March 2016.
- "Survey of Civil Practice Law Cases" Illinois Association of Defense Counsel Survey of Law 2015 (Contributing author)
"Is it Safe to Say You’re Sorry," Outpatient Surgery Magazine, October 2014.
- "What to Expect When You're Expecting a Claim—A Discussion of Claims-Made Professional Insurance Policies," The Quarter Hour, Aon Affinity, July 2013.
- December 21, 2016
- June 22, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 2, 2016
- July 2, 2012
- September 29, 2010
- Board Member of House of Good Shepard, a shelter for women and children who have been victims of domestic violence.
- Avid (albeit poorly rated) paddle tennis player and former golfer
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1997
- Member DePaul Law Review; Editor, Journal of Health & Hospital Law
- Moot Court National Competition
B.A., History and Political Science, Tulane University, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois