Thomas Beer is a litigator who focuses his practice on complex insurance coverage and business disputes, including bad faith claims, environmental contamination actions, intellectual property matters, product defect actions, employment cases and construction defect claims.
Mr. Beer also has extensive experience in admiralty and maritime matters, including marine insurance and governmental immunity claims. For many years, he has represented an international marine terminal operator in casualty, property and cargo actions. His clients also include marine underwriters, P&I Clubs and longshore workers’ compensation insurers.
A native of Cologne, Germany, Mr. Beer also represents some of Germany’s largest insurance carriers in business and litigation matters in the United States.
Mr. Beer joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP.
- The State Bar of California, Member
- The Bar Association of San Francisco, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- German American Chamber of Commerce, Member
- The European American Chamber of Commerce, Member
- German American Business Association, Member
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Member
- San Francisco Marine Claims Association, Member
- "Controlling the Electronic Discovery Risk," German American Trade, 2003
- "Established Federal Admiralty Rules in Marine Insurance Contracts and the Wilburn Boat Case," U.S.F. Maritime Law Journal, 1989
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 1990
- Editor, USF Maritime Law Journal
B.A., summa cum laude, Political Science, California State University at San Francisco, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California