Terrence McAvoy has more than 25 years of civil litigation practice experience in state and federal court, concentrating in the defense of professional liability claims. He has represented hundreds of attorneys and law firms in the defense of wide-ranging claims, including legal malpractice/professional negligence, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, common law fraud, violations of the Consumer Fraud Act, defamation and disciplinary matters. Mr. McAvoy also represents physicians, dentists and other professionals in malpractice litigation. He is also coverage and claims counsel for a national professional liability insurer.
Mr. McAvoy has tried many cases and has been involved in numerous appeals. He has also represented insureds and insurers in declaratory judgment actions involving the interpretation of various types of professional liability and commercial liability insurance policies.
Mr. McAvoy joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in June 1987.
He is the past Chairman of the CBA’s Committee on Attorney Malpractice.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA)
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS)
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Member of the Leading Lawyers Network, where he was selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation and Professional Malpractice Defense Law
- “Three's Company: Navigating the Winding Road of the Insurer, Insured and Defense Counsel,” West LegalEdcenter live webcast, March 2013.
- “The Significant New Decisions Affecting Litigation Attorneys,” Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2013.
- What’s Your Little Secret? They Want to Know,” at Hinshaw’s annual Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, in Chicago, Illinois, March 2010.
Editor of Hinshaw’s quarterly newsletter, "The Lawyers’ Professional Liability Update" and a past editor of "The Lawyers’ Lawyer Newsletter," which address recent developments and cases in professional liability law, risk management and malpractice prevention issues.
- "Attorney Liability to Adversaries and Other Third Parties," co-authored, chapter 4, Attorneys' Legal Liability, 2014 edition.
- California Court Upholds In-House Counsel Privilege Terrence P. McAvoy, Michael G. Ruff
- Only Current Shareholder can Bring Derivative Legal Malpractice Claim Against Counsel for the Corporation
- California Weighs In on In-Firm Privilege
- LFP Alert — Under Dual Representation Doctrine, Attorney-Client Privilege Generally Does Not Apply to Communications Related to Matters on Which the Attorney Represents Both Clients Terrence P. McAvoy, Adam R. Vaught
- LFP Alert — Illinois Supreme Court Addresses Calculation of Damages in Legal Malpractice Action
- LFP Alert — Plaintiff's Failure to have Expert Define the Standard of Care was Fatal to Claim
- LFP Alert — Insurer Ordered to Produce Communications With its Counsel Regarding Settlement of Bad Faith Claim, Which Led to Legal Malpractice Action Against Defense Counsel
- LFP Alert — California Court Awards Attorneys' Fees in Legal Malpractice Case Based on Rates that Exceeded the Actual Amounts Billed Terrence P. McAvoy, Katherine G. Schnake
- LFP Alert – Unfinished Business Doctrine no Longer Applicable to New York Law Firms
Insurance Services Blog
Lawyers for the Profession®
- June 24, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- Absent a Fee-Sharing Agreement Signed by Client, Referring Attorney Cannot Recover Fees From Receiving AttorneyApril 20, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- March 22, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- February 16, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- January 11, 2016Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- December 16, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- October 29, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- October 21, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- September 15, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- September 10, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- August 27, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- August 18, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- July 22, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- June 29, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- Illinois Appellate Court Affirms $6 Million Judgment, But Also Upholds Jury's Rejection of Claim for Lost ProfitsMay 13, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- May 7, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- Virginia Supreme Court Recognizes Judgmental Immunity (or "Error-in-Judgment" Rule), But Collectability Is an Affirmative Defense of Attorney DefendantApril 15, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- April 13, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- April 1, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- Failure to Challenge Victim's Credibility Sufficient to State Malpractice Claim Against Defense CounselMarch 25, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
J.D., with distinction, The John Marshall Law School, 1987
- Member, John Marshall Law Review
B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois