Russ Ponessa is a trial lawyer with over 30 years of experience representing companies whose products or business practices are under attack. He has a wide ranging civil litigation practice with substantial experience in the areas of product and professional liability, toxic tort, construction, business and other commercial disputes, insurance coverage, and consumer claims.
Mr. Ponessa has tried numerous cases to verdict and has handled a wide variety of single and multiple-claim lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the country. His clients include manufacturers and sellers of consumer, industrial, and healthcare products, legal and medical professionals, construction companies and contractors, insurers, banks, and a variety of other large and small businesses.
Mr. Ponessa is Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and the Minnesota Civil Trial Certification Counsel. He holds the AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability.
He is a member of the Defense Research Institute (Product Liability Committee, and Fire Science and Litigation SLG), the Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (having served as Chair of the Product Liability Committee), the American Bar Association (Tort And Insurance Practice Section), and the Minnesota State Bar Association (Civil Litigation Section).
In addition to being admitted in Minnesota, Mr. Ponessa regularly represents clients pro hac vice in numerous state and federal courts throughout the country.
- American Bar Association
- Health Law Section
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Defense Research Institute
- Product Liability Committee
- Fire Loss Committee
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Product Liability Committee, Chair 2014
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (2017).
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine since 1998 and as a Top 100 Super Lawyer (2012–2017).
Mr. Ponessa’s representative cases include:
Mickelson v. County of Ramsey, et al., ___ F.3d ___, 2016 WL 2342925 (8th Cir. 2016).
Tropple v. Black & Decker (U.S.) Inc., 2015 WL 4992011 (D. Minn. Aug. 20, 2015).
HomeStar Property Solutions, LLC v. VRM Mortgage Services, Inc., 2015 WL 1191270 (D. Minn. Mar. 16, 2015).
Fitzgerald v. Zakheim & LaVrar, P.A., 90 F. Supp. 3d 867 (D. Minn. Feb. 11, 2015).
McIvor v. Credit Control Services, Inc., 773 F.3d 909 (8th Cir. 2014)
- Whitney v. The Guys, Inc. 700 F.3d 118 (8th Cir 2012).
- Dakota West Credit Union v. CUMIS Ins. Society, Inc., 532 F. Supp. 2d 1110 (D.N.D. 2008).
- Hughes v. Black & Decker, 2007 WL 10768 (D. Minn. Jan. 10, 2007) and 2007 WL 624333 (D. Minn. Jan. 24, 2007).
- Wagoner v. Black & Decker, 2006 WL 2289983 (D. Minn. Aug. 8, 2006).
- Yoder v. Honeywell Inc., 104 F.3d 1215 (10th Cir. 1997).
"When is a Fan Not a Product? When It's an Improvement to Real Property!, Product Liability Claims and Minnesota's Useful Life and Improvement to Real Property Statutes," Minnesota Defense Lawyer, Fall 2014.
- "Personal Jurisdiction in the Wake of J. McIntyre Machinery, Ltd. v. Nicastro: Your Product Ending Up There Is Not Enough," Minnesota Defense Lawyer, Summer 2012
- Contributing Author, 2012 supplement to the Minnesota Practice Handbook on Experts.
- December 22, 2014
Mr. Ponessa is an active member of the Firm's Pro Bono Committee, and he regularly provides pro bono services through the Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter, Pro Se Project. He also volunteers time to his community by coaching youth sports, as a board member of non-profit organizations, and by participating in charitable events.
J.D., cum laude, University of Minnesota, 1985
B.A., University of Minnesota, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota