Paulette Sarp is a litigator with a broad range of experience in state and federal courts in jurisdictions across the nation. She devotes the majority of her practice to representing insurance companies in complex coverage litigation involving the insurer's duties and obligations under all types of policies, including commercial general liability, professional liability, homeowners, and automobile policies. Ms. Sarp also is called upon to conduct examinations under oath, conduct insurance appraisals, and to advise claims professionals on proper claim handling in risky cases.
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Sarp prepares opinion letters for her insurance clients, analyzing coverage obligations and potential exposure for both first-party and third-party claims.
Ms. Sarp joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 2007.
She began her legal career as an associate at Fennemore Craig, P.C., in Phoenix, Arizona. She then joined the boutique firm of Peshkin & Kotalik, P.C., in Phoenix, where she focused her practice on insurance related issues and commercial litigation. Ms. Sarp was a partner at Peshkin & Kotalik until she moved to Minneapolis and practiced with Lind, Jensen, Sullivan & Peterson for two years doing third-party defense & coverage litigation before joining Hinshaw. She is also the Business Development leader for the Insurance Services practice group.
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Capson Physicians Insurance Company v. MMIC Insurance, Inc.,--- F.3d ---, 2016 WL 3902654 (July 19, 2016).
- Chicago Ins. Co. v. Paulson & Nace, PLLC, 783 F.3d 897 (D.C. Cir. 2015).
- Interstate Fire & Cas.Co. v. Washington Hosp. Center Corp.,et al, 758 F.3d 378 (D.C. Cir. 2014).
- Metropolitan Property & Casualty Ins. Co. v. Koehnen, 2006 WL 3719715 (Minn. App. 2006).
- Cretens v. State Farm Fire & Cas. Co., 60 F.Supp.2d 987 (D. Ariz. 1999) aff'd, 11 Fed.Appx. 860 (9th Cir. 2001).
- "Most Common CGL Exclusions: How to Navigate Contractual Liability, Business Risk, Pollution and Other Exclusions," Minnesota Insurance Law Institute, Minneapolis, Minnesota, March 2015.
"Handling and Preserving Coverage Issues in a First-Party Property Claim," client presentation, October 2014.
- "My Building Survived the Storm, but Will My Business?", ABA's Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, Tucson, AZ, March 2014.
- "Recover and Rebuild, Part One: Identifying and Engaging Other Insurers,” Hinshaw’s 2011 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2011.
- “A Legislature Sets the Standards: The Texas Quick Pay Statute—Where Did it Come From? Will it Spread?” Hinshaw’s 2009 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2009.
- Insurer’s Duty to Defend Continues Until All Arguably-Covered Claims Against the Insured Have Been Extinguished With FinalityFebruary 8, 2012Insurance Coverage Alert
- Has been involved with the East Metro Women’s Counsel, an organization dedicated to transitioning homeless families to permanent housing in the Twin Cities area. Ms. Sarp also has worked on builds for Habitat for Humanity.
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School
- Order of the Coif
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi
B.A., summa cum laude, Criminal Justice, Moorhead State University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa