Donald Mrozek served as chairman of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP from 1989–2015. Today, as chair of the firm's Consultants & Coaches for the Profession™ Practice, he helps law firm leaders address complex business- and management-related challenges and opportunities involved in effectively managing their firms.
Mr. Mrozek and the team — which includes members of Hinshaw's leading Lawyers for the Profession® Practice — advise law firms and their leaders on a wide variety of subjects including succession planning; partner compensation; mergers and lateral partner hiring and retention; firm leadership; consensus building; firm governance and practice group structure; responding to client expectations; maintaining and growing profitability; and personnel issues.
Mr. Mrozek represents clients in the areas of governance; business litigation; fidelity bond claims and litigation; and internal investigations involving allegations of fraud and related misconduct and related areas.
Under Mr. Mrozek's leadership, the firm grew from a small Chicago-area law firm to a national firm with 25 offices, approximately 500 attorneys and more than $225 million in revenues.
His accomplishments were as Chairman of Hinshaw are Chronicled in the July 9, 2015 issue of American Lawyer Daily and on Bloomberg Law's Big Law Business.
- American Bar Association, Past Vice-Chairman of the Fidelity and Surety Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Past Vice-Chairman of the Fidelity and Surety Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Past Chairman of the Business Litigation Committee
- Defense Research Institute's Professional Liability Committee, Past Chairman
- Chicago Inn of Court
- Member (2003–Present)
- President (2006–2007)
- DePaul University Law School
- Dean's Advisory Council, (1990–Present)
- Chairman (2011–2012)
Honors & Awards
- DePaul University School of Law, Distinguished Alumni Award, (2010); Law Review Sapientia Award (2009); Certificate of Appreciation Award (1997)
- Honored as one of the Top 100 Leading Business Lawyers in Illinois in Leading Lawyers Magazine Business Edition, (2010)
- Named as one of "The Best of the Law Firm Leaders" by Of Counsel, (2002)
- Selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation (2005–2015)
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2005–2015)
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Mr. Mrozek has lectured on numerous legal and management topics to local, regional and national audiences at seminars sponsored by many organizations, including:
Law firm and law firm leader consulting and coaching:
- "Successful Partnering: Between Inside and Outside Counsel," The Chicago Bar Association, Program Faculty, Chicago, Illinois, 2003.
- "Utilizing a National/Regional Program for Litigation," 40th Risk and Insurance Management Society Annual Meeting, April 2002.
- "Inside Law Firm M&A's," Illinois Legal Times Roundtable Discussion, March 1998.
- "Competitiveness Through Innovative Client Services: Meeting and Exceeding Client Expectations is the Future for Your Firm," Mid-Year Meeting/International Association of Defense Counsel, February 1996.
- "Splitting the Pie: Determining Partners' Income," Illinois Legal Times Roundtable, November 1994.
- "Building the Client-Driven Law Firm: Creative Ways to Get Lawyers to Listen to Their Clients," Fourth International Conference on Legal Services Marketing, Institute on Law Firm Management, October 1994.
- "Client Surveys and Focus Groups," Association of Legal Administrators/Chicago Chapter, February 1994.
Business Litigation, Fidelity Law, Corporate Governance and related areas:
- "Common Issues Which Arise in the Investigation of the Fidelity Bond Claim," American Bar Association, Tort Trial Insurance, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, MidWinter Meeting, January 2013.
- "Court Costs and Attorneys' Fees," American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Fidelity & Surety Law Committee seminar "Financial Institute Bonds: From the Masters," Baltimore, Maryland, November 2008.
- "Fraud in the Executive Suite: Internal Investigation, Employment Law Ramifications and Fidelity Coverage," Program Chair, Annual meeting of the American Bar Association/Fidelity and Surety Committee, August 1999.
- "The Trial of a Loan Loss Case Against the Fidelity Carrier - A view from the Jury Box," Mid-Winter Meeting, International Association of Defense Counsel, January 1999 (mock trial participant as attorney for the Fidelity carrier).
- "Fraud in the Executive Suite," American Bar Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, 1999.
- "How to Manage a Law Firm Leadership Succession (Perspective)," Bloomberg Law, November 23, 2016.
- "How to Respond to Bullying in Big Law (Perspective)," Bloomberg Law, October 25, 2016.
- "General Agreement (F) Notice of Legal Proceedings Against Insured – Election to Defend," chapter co-author, "Financial Institution Bonds 537-576," (Duncan L. Clore ed., 3d ed.) 2008.
- "Chapter 78 Case Study: ServiceMaster’s National Litigation Program," Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel, West Group & ACCA, September 2000 (updated 2003).
- March 28, 2017
- March 24, 2017
- March 21, 2017
- January 13, 2017Bloomberg Big Law Business
- December 1, 2016Bloomberg Big Law Business
- October 26, 2016
- October 20, 2016
- Hinshaw Launches New Consulting and Coaching Services Focused on the Business and Management of Law FirmsOctober 17, 2016Team Will Be Led by Donald L. Mrozek, Who Served a Transformative 25+ Year Term at the Helm of AmLaw200 Law Firm
- St. Rita Board of Directors (2015–Present)
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, Member, Board of Directors (2004–Present) Vice Chairman (2012–Present)
- DePaul University College of Law, Dean's Council (1990–Present) Chairman (2011–2012)
- El Valor, "Tocar el Futuro": Member, Civic Leadership Team (1996–2008) Member, Board of Directors (2005–2008)
- Hinsdale Hospital Foundation: Board of Trustees (1997–2003)
- Josephinum High School: Board of Directors (1992–1998) Chairman, Development Committee (1993–1995) Chairman, Board of Directors (1995–1998)
- American Cancer Society "Hoops for Life": Sponsor (1989–Present) Certificate of Appreciation Award (1997)
- St. Rita High School, "Valentine's Day Committee" Founding Member (1990–Present) Co-Chairman (1993) Chairman (1994)
- DePaul University Cornerstone Campaign, Law School Division, Vice Chairman (1992)
- Burr Ridge Meadows Improvement Association: Board of Directors, Elected Member, (1984–1986) Board of Directors, President (1985–1986)
- Infant Jesus of Prague Fiscal Board: Elected Member (1981–1983) President (1983)
J.D., with honors, DePaul University College of Law, 1973
- Member, Law Review; Editor, DePaul University Law Review
B.S.E., Northwestern University, 1969
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois