Donald Mrozek has devoted a substantial portion of his practice throughout his career to business litigation and fidelity, surety and fiduciary bond claims and litigation. He has also conducted internal independent investigations for corporations and insurers involving allegations of fraud or misconduct.
Mr. Mrozek also regularly provides general corporate and transaction counsel to clients in a wide variety of industries, with a particular emphasis on transaction planning and legal risk assessment. He has designed, implemented and managed national and regional litigation programs for corporate clients.
Mr. Mrozek is Chairman (1989 to present) of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP. In this role, he leads and manages the firm, and chairs the firm's Management and Executive Committees.
He was the subject of an article and profile, “Law Firm Leaders: Mrozek Leads His Firm’s Strategy,” in the January 10, 2012 edition of the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. In the August 2009 issue of Chicago Lawyer, Mr. Mrozek was one of four law firm leaders participating in a roundtable discussion chronicled in the magazine’s Roundtable feature. “Thoughts from the top rung” offers an insider’s view of the effect the economy currently has on law firms and what the future might hold for the legal industry.
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, Vice-Chair
- American Bar Association, Past Vice-Chair of the Fidelity and Surety Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Past Vice-Chair of the Fidelity and Surety Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Past Chair of the Business Litigation Committee
- Defense Research Institute's Professional Liability Committee, Past Chair
- Chicago Inn of Court
- Past President (2006–2007)
- DePaul University Law School
- Serves on the Advisory Council
- Certificate of Appreciation Award (1997)
- DePaul Law Review Sapientia Award (2009)
Honors & Awards
- Profiled as the subject of “Don Mrozek – Champion for His Firm and His Community,” an article in the Business Edition of Leading Lawyers Network Magazine, which describes his legal career and 20 years as Chairman of Hinshaw, January 2009
- Honored as one of the Top 100 Business Lawyers in Illinois
- Selected as one of the Top 100 Leading Business Lawyers in Illinois in Leading Lawyers Magazine Business Edition, 2010
- Named as one of "The Best of the Law Firm Leaders" by Of Counsel, November 2002
- Member of the Leading Lawyers Network, where he was selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation and Insurance / Insurance Coverage. In addition, in 2007 he was named as one of the top 100 Leading Lawyers in Illinois in all areas of law
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2005)
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Mr. Mrozek has lectured on numerous legal and management topics to local, regional and national audiences at seminars sponsored by many organizations, including:
- "Common Issues Which Arise in the Investigation of the Fidelity Bond Claim," American Bar Association, Tort Trial Insurance, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, MidWinter Meeting, January 2013.
- “Court Costs and Attorneys’ Fees,” American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Section, Fidelity & Surety Law Committee seminar “Financial Institute Bonds: From the Masters,” Baltimore, Maryland, November 2008.
- "Successful Partnering: Between Inside and Outside Counsel," The Chicago Bar Association, Program Faculty, Chicago, Illinois, 2003.
- "Utilizing a National/Regional Program for Litigation," 40th Risk and Insurance Management Society Annual Meeting, April 2002.
- "Fraud in the Executive Suite: Internal Investigation, Employment Law Ramifications and Fidelity Coverage," Program Chair, Annual meeting of the American Bar Association/Fidelity and Surety Committee, August 1999.
- "The Trial of a Loan Loss Case Against the Fidelity Carrier - A view from the Jury Box," Mid-Winter Meeting, International Association of Defense Counsel, January 1999 (mock trial participant as attorney for the Fidelity carrier).
- "Fraud in the Executive Suite," American Bar Association Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, 1999.
- "Inside Law Firm M&A’s," Illinois Legal Times Roundtable Discussion, March 1998.
- "Competitiveness Through Innovative Client Services: Meeting and Exceeding Client Expectations is the Future for Your Firm," Mid-Year Meeting/International Association of Defense Counsel, February 1996.
- "Duty to Defend Under the Fiduciary Responsibility Insurance Policy," Aetna Casualty and Surety Co., Claim Analyst Seminar, Hartford, Connecticut, June 1995.
- "Underwriting the Fiduciary Responsibility Insurance Policy: Duty to Defend Considerations," Aetna Casualty and Surety Co., Seminar for Underwriters, Hartford, Connecticut, June 1995
- "Splitting the Pie: Determining Partners’ Income," Illinois Legal Times Roundtable, November 1994.
- "Building the Client-Driven Law Firm: Creative Ways to Get Lawyers to Listen to Their Clients," Fourth International Conference on Legal Services Marketing, Institute on Law Firm Management, October 1994.
- "Client Surveys and Focus Groups," Association of Legal Administrators/Chicago Chapter, February 1994.
- "Juggling the Ethical Hot Potato - Serving the CEO, the Company and the Government," Price Waterhouse General Counsel Forum, November 1993.
- "What to Expect From Your D&O Liability Policy – Now That a Director Has Been Sued," BCS Professional Liability Management Conference, September 1993.
- "Defending Directors and Officers," National Seminar, Defense Research & Trial Lawyers Association, April 1992.
- "Alternative Billing Strategies," Wisconsin Bar Association, September 1991.
- "RICO & The Fidelity Insurer," Chicago Surety Association, Chicago, Illinois, February 1984.
- "Selected Issues Following the Principal’s Bankruptcy," National Surety Bond Association, September 1990 (Workshop Leader).
- "Lender Liability Issues Facing the Construction Bond Surety," Meeting of Fidelity and Surety Committee, Defense Research & Trial Lawyers Association, May 1990.
- "Lender’s Liability and Business Risks-Theories of Liability," Mid-Year Meeting/International Association of Defense Counsel, February 1989."Defending Litigation Against Lenders Based Upon Absence of Good Faith," National Symposium on Lender Liability and Other Business Torts/Defense Research & Trial Lawyers Association, January 1989.
- "Subrogation Actions Against Financial Institutions and Their Directors & Officers," Mid-Winter Meeting International Association of Defense Counsel, January 1989."Investigation and Resolution of Fidelity Bond Claims, National Bond Claims Association," September 1988 (Panel Participant). "Comments on Lender Liability," Annual Meeting/International Association of Defense Counsel, July 1988.
- "Counterfeit and Forgery Protection Under the Financial Institution Bond," Chicago Surety Association, Chicago, Illinois, March 1988.
- "Protecting the Corporate Director/Officer," Illinois Continuing Legal Education, Illinois, June 1987.
- "Sureties Response to a Debtor’s Attempted Assumption of a Bonded Contract Under Section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code," Mid-Year Meeting/International Association of Defense Counsel, February 1987; Chicago Surety Association, Chicago, Illinois, March 1987.
- "Highlights of the 1986 Financial Institution Bond," Chicago Surety Association, Chicago, Illinois, March 1986.
- "Defending RICO Claims," Annual Meeting/International Association of Defense Counsel, July 1986."Court Costs & Attorneys’ Fees-Fidelity Bonds," Chicago Surety Association, Chicago, Illinois, February 1985.
- "Liability of Accountants," National Seminar/Defense Research & Trial Lawyers Association, February 1984.
- Chicago Surety Association, Chicago, Illinois, June 1983.
- "Accountants’ Liability," Illinois Continuing Legal Education, Illinois, November 1982.
- "Sureties Responsibility for Withholding Taxes," Fidelity & Surety Committee/American Bar Association, January 1979.
- “Securing the Road to Nowhere: When Subdivision Bond Payments Constitute Economic Waste or an Unreasonable Windfall to the “Obligee,” co-author, International Association of Defense Counsel Fidelity & Surety Committee newsletter, July 2011.
- “Recent Cases Interpreting Statutory Limitations and The Legal Action Clause – Validity of The Clause’s Trigger Date, co-author, International Association of Defense Counsel Fidelity & Surety Committee newsletter, May 2010.
- “Recent Decisions Interpreting ‘Loss Resulting Directly From’,” International Association of Defense Counsel Fidelity & Surety Committee newsletter, June 2009.
- “General Agreement (F) Notice of Legal Proceedings Against Insured – Election to Defend,” chapter co-author, “Financial Institution Bonds 537-576,” (Duncan L. Clore ed., 3d ed.) 2008.
- "Chapter 78 Case Study: ServiceMaster’s National Litigation Program," Successful Partnering Between Inside and Outside Counsel, West Group & ACCA, September 2000.
- "Third-Party Losses and the “Manifest Intent” Requirement," Fidelity and Surety Committee Newsletter, July 1997.
- "Suing and Defending Professionals In Illinois," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Co-Author of January 1997 Edition.
- "Counterfeit and Forgery Protection Under the Financial Institution Bond," Defense Counsel Journal, Supplement 1987, January 1989.
- "Defending RICO Claims," For The Defense, November 1986.
- "RICO: Its Use in Fidelity Bond Claims," For The Defense, March 1985.
- "Accountants’ Liability," Illinois Continuing Legal Education Handbook on Professional Liability, January 1982.
- Comment, "The Search for an Equitable Approach to Mobile Home Taxation," 21 DePaul Law Review, January 1972.
- September 2, 2014
- November 14, 2012
- September 24, 2012
- July 26, 2012
- June 1, 2012
- January 12, 2012
- January 1, 2012
- December 9, 2011
- American Cancer Society “Hoops for Life”: Sponsor (1989–Present) Certificate of Appreciation Award (1997)
- Burr Ridge Meadows Improvement Association: Board of Directors, Elected Member, (1984–1986) Board of Directors, President (1985–1986)
- DePaul University Cornerstone Campaign, Law School Division, Vice Chairman (1992)
- DePaul University College of Law, Dean's Council (1990–Present) Chairman (2011–Present)
- El Valor, “Tocar el Futuro”: Member, Civic Leadership Team (1996–2008) Member, Board of Directors (2005–2008)
- Hinsdale Hospital Foundation: Board of Trustees (1997–2003)
- Infant Jesus of Prague Fiscal Board: Elected Member (1981–1983) President (1983)
- Josephinum High School: Board of Directors (1992–1998) Chairman, Development Committee (1993–1995) President, Board of Directors (1995–1998)
- St. Rita High School, “Valentine’s Day Committee” Member (1990–Present) Co-Chairman (1993) Chairman (1994)
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, Member, Board of Directors (2004–Present) Vice Chair (2012)
J.D., with honors, DePaul University College of Law, 1973
- Member, Law Review; Editor, DePaul University Law Review
B.S.E., Northwestern University, 1969
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois