Through the 2014 merger with Barger & Wolen LLP, Hinshaw adds one of the most prominent Insurance Regulatory Groups to the firm's Insurance Services Practice. Founded by Richards D. Barger, former California commissioner of insurance and a former president of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Barger's regulatory practice joins Robert Wagner, former general counsel and acting director of the Illinois Department of Insurance, thereby enhancing Hinshaw's Insurance Regulatory Practice in California and Illinois and expanding it to Hinshaw offices in other states.
Our Insurance Regulatory Group attorneys are involved in structuring, documenting and obtaining regulatory approvals required in connection with all business transactions involving participants in the insurance industry. Our experience encompasses the representation of insurers and insurance producers in the preparation and negotiation of applications and other filings required to obtain regulatory approval of complex business transactions, including: insurance company formations; reinsurance; compliance matters; and mergers and sales/acquisitions of insurance companies and producers. Additionally, it includes assisting with rate and form filings and, if need be, counsel in connection with rate and prior approval matters.
Hinshaw's Insurance Regulatory Practice attorneys also regularly represent carriers in defense of agency enforcement actions and other administrative proceedings, such as accusations, orders to show cause, agency appeals, notices of noncompliance and rulemaking.
Hinshaw's Insurance Regulatory Practice attorneys likewise have extensive experience representing insurance companies in connection with market conduct claims and rating and underwriting examinations. We actively monitor regulations proposed by regulators and prepare comments (including objections) to proposed statutes and regulations.
Our Insurance Regulatory Practice attorneys regularly conduct specialized seminars for trade associations, insurance companies and insurance producers that focus on key regulatory issues, including proposed statutes and regulations and decisions rendered by insurance regulators. Programs may include specific topics such as market conduct claims examinations, the rate application submission and review process, understanding claims settlement practices regulations, and compliance with SIU (Special Investigation Unit) requirements.
On a national basis, we assist insurers in researching the laws of all insurance jurisdictions to ensure that policies, disclosures and market conduct comply with each state's laws and regulations.
While the Insurance Regulatory Group regularly handles insurance administrative hearings, writs and appeals, it will team up with Hinshaw's Insurance Services Practice on complex litigation involving regulatory matters. In additional to its writ and appellate practice, our Insurance Regulatory Group provides insurance law consulting with outside firms on litigation matters. Members of our team have authored a number of chapters in LexisNexis insurance law treatises, including California Insurance Law and Practice.
Areas of Experience
- Licensing of insurance companies and insurance producers
- Rate regulation
- Agency enforcement and administrative hearings
- Holding Company Act compliance, including "change of control" of insurers
- Enterprise risk compliance
- Rehabilitation, conservation and liquidation of insurers
- Intercompany and affiliate transactions, including service reimbursement and cost-sharing agreements
- Antitrust issues
- Product development
- Reinsurance transactions
- Claims regulation
- Agent and broker matters, including preparation and negotiation of agency agreements; broker contracts; and managing general agent agreements
- Surplus lines compliance matters
- Legislation and rulemaking
- August 9, 2018
- May 4, 2018
- Hinshaw and Florida International University Successfully Conclude Second Annual Climate Change and Sea Level Rise ConferenceApril 24, 2018
- Hinshaw Insurance Law Radio: Insurance Cases and Legislation to Watch in 2018 with Insurance Reporter Jeff SistrunkJanuary 17, 2018
- Hinshaw Achieves National and Regional Recognition in 2018 U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" DirectoryNovember 1, 2017
- Hogeboom Discusses ACIC v. Jones, a Groundbreaking California Supreme Court Decision Regarding Insurance Commissioner's Authority Under the Unfair Insurances Practices Act (UIPA)August 23, 2017
- May 26, 2017Kent Keller, Mike Marick, Royal Oaks, Scott Seaman, and Jim Kallianis Garner Individual Recognition As Leading Insurance Law Practitioners
- April 27, 2017
- April 26, 2017
- December 27, 2016
- Bob Hogeboom Authors Article on Torchmark Ruling that Addresses Various Insurance Regulatory Procedural Issues in CaliforniaSeptember 26, 2016