To provide excellent health care, you need a healthy business. Hinshaw helps organizations thrive.
Health care practitioners rely on their years of education and experience, highly technical diagnostic tools, and patients’ own descriptions of their symptoms and health goals to diagnose conditions and develop effective treatment plans. At Hinshaw, negotiating a successful business transaction is likewise both science and art. We draw on our deep experience in health care transactions and our understanding of our clients’ businesses and strategic objectives, as well as market conditions, to move deals from concept to completion and beyond, including post-closing integration.
Our team has structured and negotiated hundreds of merger, acquisition, divestiture and joint-venture transactions involving hospitals, hospital systems, clinics, skilled nursing facilities and adult day health centers. We have also handled numerous sales and purchases of physician practices, chiropractic and physical therapy clinics and other health care service providers, ranging from imaging centers, surgery centers and medical spas to durable medical equipment companies and laboratories.
We offer multidisciplinary, results-oriented counsel at every step. Through comprehensive due diligence, we help clients identify and address legal, business and compliance issues that might otherwise impede the smooth course of a transaction. Our finance lawyers assist in arranging appropriate debt and equity financing and strategic partnerships, as well as private placements and public offerings. When distressed business and assets are involved, we offer guidance on restructurings, workouts, asset sales and other reorganization strategies. Hinshaw’s experienced tax counsel help for-profit and nonprofit organizations ensure compliance with federal and state tax laws and pursue a range of tax incentives that support research, development, and other health care initiatives.
We understand that health care organizations are living, breathing, evolving entities. We provide broad-ranging business counsel and work hand in hand with key executives, managers and other leadership to negotiate and prepare operational documents that help clients meet short- and long-term goals. These include:
- Executive and physician/midlevel employment agreements
- Restrictive covenants and confidentiality agreements
- Letters of intent and term sheets
- Asset purchase and stock purchase agreements
- Private offering memoranda
- Real estate purchase and lease agreements
- Contracts with management service organizations, practice management companies and other vendors
Our teams are right-sized to provide as-needed, cost-efficient and targeted counsel. In so doing, we draw on lawyers from the firm’s real estate, environmental, tax, labor and employment, public finance, securities, antitrust and trade regulation practices, among others.
- October 2, 2014
- Michael Dowell to Present at the California Society for Healthcare Attorneys Annual Meeting & Spring SeminarApril 11, 2014
- August 7, 2013
- Client Success: Bell Tower Residence Assisted Living Facility Transitioned to Wisconsin Illinois Senior Housing Inc. SponsorshipJune 3, 2019
- May 6, 2019
- April 13, 2015
- March 10, 2014"Hospital-Physician Transaction Compliance Strategies to Address Recent Fraud and Abuse Enforcement Actions"
- June 15, 2016Health Law Alert
- Pharmacies and Prescription Drug Dispensers...Are You Ready for The March 1, 2016 DSCSA Compliance Deadline?February 23, 2016Health Law Alert
- January 27, 2015Health Law Alert
- January 26, 2015Health Law Alert
- January 26, 2015
- September 16, 2014Health Law Alert