Hinshaw has a national practice representing architects, engineers and other design professionals in a wide range of litigated matters arising from the design and construction process. Our Professional Liability Practice attorneys defend both large firms and solo practitioners against claims arising from Americans with Disabilities Act compliance, breaches of contract, construction defects, construction delays, intellectual property, professional negligence, worker injuries/bodily injuries, and statutory violations. We also represent architects, engineers and other design professionals in cases involving discrimination or deceptive business practices claims and in prosecuting fee collection/mechanics' liens matters. Additionally, we represent individual licensees in disciplinary matters. We have expertise in insurance issues facing design professionals and the various types of coverages on construction projects. Extensively experienced in mediation and arbitration, our ranks include an active mediator and arbitrator.
In addition to providing litigation counsel, our Professional Liability Practice attorneys counsel and advise architects, engineers and other design professionals on transactional and operational matters, including drafting and negotiating construction contracts, entity formation, labor and employment activities, mechanics' liens, mergers and acquisitions, organizational issues (e.g. buy-sell agreements), ownership transition, and protection of intellectual property. We also provide advice on best practices and policies, with the goal of managing business risk and avoiding liability claims.
Our Professional Liability Practice attorneys who represent architects, engineers and other design professionals are highly active in related professional associations, including the American Bar Association Forum on Construction , the American Institute of Architects - Illinois Council, the American Society of Civil Engineers, American Council of Engineering Companies, Association of Licensed Architects, Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, and the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois. We have authored a leading treatise on Architect and Engineer Liability as well as chapters in books on the defense of design professionals.
- September 30, 2020
- September 20, 2019
- October 26, 2018
- May 16, 2018
- Kevin Sido to Present on Amicus Curiae Efforts Resulting in Two "Friendly" Decisions for Structural EngineersSeptember 6, 2016
- Kevin Sido to Present Ethics for Engineers at the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois SeminarFebruary 23, 2016
- August 18, 2014Professional Lines Alert
- California Supreme Court Finds that Architect has a Duty of Care that Extends to Future Purchasers of CondominiumsJuly 30, 2014Professional Lines Alert
- April 7, 2014Professional Lines Alert
- May 6, 2013Professional Lines Alert
- Insurance Agency Potentially Liable for Use of a Cost Estimator Program to Calculate Replacement CostApril 3, 2013Professional Lines Alert
- Agent Not Liable for Mental Distress Damages for Katrina Losses; Still Liable for Attorneys Fees and Special DamagesFebruary 28, 2013Professional Lines Alert