Thomas Cross maintains a broad corporate practice advising clients—from large corporations to privately held businesses and individual landowners—on commercial transactions and complex real estate matters. His extensive experience includes drafting, negotiating, and counseling clients concerning corporate formations, reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, and regulatory compliance.
Tom’s real estate practice involves the negotiation and drafting of commercial purchase, sale, and leasing agreements, as well as advising clients on complex title matters, easement disputes, and zoning issues.
His background further includes assisting with the creation and development of estate and tax plans, probate and trust administration, and drafting estate planning documents.
Tom began his legal career at a firm in Rockford, Illinois, where he was part of the firm's Corporate, Real Estate, and Health Care Practice Groups. During his tenure, he gained a wealth of knowledge in various areas of law, ultimately focusing on corporate transactions and real estate.
During law school, Tom was involved in a number of activities and associations, including serving on the Editorial Board for the Iowa Law Review. He was also a student writer for the publication.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Winnebago County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by his peers as an "Emerging Lawyer" in the areas of: Closely & Privately Held Business Law; Commercial Litigation; Employment Law: Management; Health Law; and Real Estate Law: Commercial, 2017 – 2019
- Jurisprudence Award for Academic Excellence, Recipient, Fall 2010, Non-Profit & Philanthropic Organizations
Represented a large, regional healthcare system in the negotiation and drafting of AIA documentation for the construction of multiple clinics and medical centers exceeding $120 million.
- HomeStart, Board of Directors
- Rockford Coronado Concert Association, Board of Directors
- Leadership Rockford, Graduate 2012
J.D., with high distinction, The University of Iowa College of Law, 2011
B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois