Thaddeus Harrell is a labor and employment attorney who protects employer's interests. He advises employers on all aspects of the employment relationship, spanning from hire through termination, disability considerations, misclassification issues, employee misconduct and other disciplinary matters.
His practice includes representing employers in litigation matters, including the defense of claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
In addition to his trial work, Thaddeus handles both appellate and workers' compensation defense cases. Appearing before administrative judges throughout the state of Florida, he has obtained favorable results for his clients before the Florida First District Court of Appeals.
Thaddeus serves as the as co-chair of Hinshaw's Black Attorney Affinity Network (BAAN). Before joining Hinshaw in 2014, Thaddeus was a law clerk with the firm. During law school, he clerked for the Honorable Winston Jackson, EEOC, in Chicago; for the Honorable William Alexa, Porter County Superior Court, in Valparaiso, Indiana; and in the Ft. Lauderdale City Prosecutor's Office, in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Barry University, Alumni Board Member
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Pathfinder, 2021
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2021 – 2022
"Do it for the Gram: The Power of Social Media," 2020 Illinois Women in Leadership Symposium, Virtual Event, October 15, 2020
"The Gig Economy – Avoid Misclassifying Workers and Understand Your Risks," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hilton Chicago-Northbrook, Northbrook, Illinois, October 12, 2017
- "Evolving State Privacy Laws Impact Employer Social Media Policies," dp-PRO Magazine, Fall 2021 edition
- Thaddeus Harrell Reviews Impact of State Privacy Laws on Workplace Social Media Policies in dp-PRO MagazineAugust 26, 2021
- August 19, 2021Five Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Hinshaw Announces Selection of its Nominees for 2021 Fellowship Class and Pathfinder Program of the Leadership Council on Legal DiversityMarch 17, 2021
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Whole Foods Prevails Against Racial Bias Claims
- Political and Social Activism Surges in the Workplace: Five Issues for Employers to Consider
- DOL Provides Guidance on Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation Program
- DOL Issues OSHA Information to Help Reduce Coronavirus Exposure in the Workplace
- DOL Clarifies Unemployment Benefits in New Letters
- Eleventh Circuit Clarifies Legal Standard in Evaluating Similarly Situated Individuals
- U.S. Supreme Court Puts the Brakes on Mandatory Arbitration, Holds Transportation Workers Exempt from the Federal Arbitration Act
- Trust the Process: Relying on Existing Law or Policy is not an ADA Defense Says Third Circuit
- In Victory for Employers, NLRB Overrules Browning-Ferris Joint Employment Test
- Florida Increasing State Minimum Wage by Two Percent
- EEOC Issues New Guidance on National Origin Discrimination
- NY Transit Agencies Escape Vicarious Liability for Contractors Alleged Discrimination
- Fourth Circuit Finds EEOC's Expert Report Unreliable Under Federal Rules of Evidence
- Court Vacates Summary Judgment Regarding Sex Discrimination and BFOQ Stating Reasons for Implementation were Arbitrary
Employment Law Observer
- September 21, 2020Insights for Employers
- May 3, 2016
- April 1, 2015
- March 2, 2015
- February 2, 2015
- October 1, 2014
- August 1, 2014
- June 2, 2014
In his spare time, Thaddeus enjoys spending time with his wife Corniche and his English Pointer named Panda. When not in the office, Thaddeus takes time to travel around the country and enjoys volunteering with local organizations.
J.D., Valparaiso University School of Law, 2013
B.S., Barry University, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois