Susan Dent is a litigator who concentrates her practice on the defense of professional liability matters. Her clients benefit from her varied litigation experience which includes complex civil and trust and estate matters. Involved in all phases of litigation—from initial complaint through trial—Susie works with her clients to ensure they are informed throughout the process and provides them with solutions tailored to their personal and professional goals.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Susie was a trial litigation associate in a mid-sized firm in San Diego. She also practiced at a firm in San Jose, where she was advised on family law, probate and civil litigation matters. While there, she was also involved with negotiating global settlements and conducting alternative dispute resolution mediation sessions. Following the completion of law school, Susie was a law clerk with a family law firm in Orange County.
Susie gained further experience from clerkships during law school, including positions with the Santa Clara County Office of the Public Defender and the Orange County Public Defender's Office. She was also a law clerk for the Honorable Jerome Nadler, Superior Court of Santa Clara County. In addition to her other law school accomplishments, Susan was a member of the Executive Board of Honors Moot Court. While at USC, she was a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a community service fraternity, as well as the Latina Honor Society.
- California Women Lawyers, Member
- Kiwanis Club of San Diego
- Young Professionals Division, Member
- "Pride in the Profession: Ethics Issues Impacting LGBTQ+ Attorneys, Clients, and the Courts," CLE hosted by Hinshaw's LGBTQ Affinity Group, Chicago, Illinois, June 25, 2020
- June 2020
- July 2, 2020
- March 2, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
- Illinois Appellate Court Holds Union Appointed Lawyers Are Immune From Individual Malpractice Suits Filed By MembersFebruary 24, 2020Lawyers for the Profession®
Susan enjoys international travel, musical theatre, and operatic arts, and is an avid long-distance runner. She also plays piano and is conversational in French. A Southern California native, Susan currently resides in San Francisco with her partner, a bespoke womenswear designer.
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2013
- Articles Editor, Santa Clara Law Review
- Staff Writer, Santa Clara Advocate
B.A., Political Science, University of Southern California, 2009