Shelley Bethune defends professionals in a wide range of liability issues, focusing on counseling attorneys facing disciplinary and malpractice matters. Having worked as Litigation Counsel for the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (ARDC), Shelley has a deep knowledge and understanding of attorney disciplinary proceedings.
During her tenure with the ARDC, Shelley investigated hundreds of charges of lawyer misconduct, including the misappropriation of client funds, criminal conduct, conflicts of interest, and the neglect of client matters. She also represented the Administrator of the ARDC in over twenty proceedings before the Inquiry and Hearing Boards, handling all phases of the litigation. Shelley further represented the Administrator in numerous pleadings before the Illinois Supreme Court.
With her extensive experience, Shelley also frequently presented to Chicago-area law schools, bar associations, and other entities on ethics and professional responsibility.
While in law school, Shelley clerked for the Cook County State's Attorney's Office, in both the Special Prosecutions Bureau and the Child Support Division. She was also an extern for The Honorable Rubén Castillo in the Northern District of Illinois.
Shelley was involved in a number of activities and organizations during law school. In addition to being an Associate Editor for the Loyola International Law Review, Shelley was on the Jessup International Law Moot Court Team for two years and served as Team Captain her second year.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Professional Responsibility Committee, Former Vice-Chair, 2016 – 2018
- "Technologically Challenged: Malpractice or Discipline?," National Organization of Bar Counsel, Las Vegas, Nevada, January 2019
- "The Adjudicator's Perspective – Managing Vexatious Litigants," National Organization of Bar Counsel, Chicago, Illinois, August 2018
- "Competency, Conflicts, and Confidentiality," Loyola Law School, Chicago, Illinois, July 2018; September 2017; March 2017
- "Professional Responsibility for Prosecutors," Cook County State's Attorney's Office, Chicago, Illinois, April 2018
- "The Ins and Outs of the ARDC and Issues in Client Counseling," Loyola Law School, Chicago, Illinois, February 2018; September 2017; February 2017; February 2016
- "How to Manage Retainers, Advance Payment Retainers, and Client Trust Funds," Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section (YLS), Professional Responsibility Committee, Chicago, Illinois, December 2017
- "Ethics Jeopardy," City of Chicago Law Department, Chicago, Illinois, September 2017
- "Ethics Jeopardy," Chicago Bar Association YLS, Chicago, Illinois, May 2017
- "1L Rotation – The ARDC Is Your Friend?," Kent Law School, Chicago, Illinois, April 2017; April 2016
- "Bar Exam Boot Camp – Disciplinary Issues in Character & Fitness," Chicago Bar Association YLS, Chicago, Illinois, September 2016
Outside of work, Shelley enjoys trying new restaurants and spending time with her friends and family, especially her two nieces. She also loves to travel, and lived in China for a year and a half before law school teaching English to elementary students.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Leadership Circle Participant