Ray Tamaddon focuses his practice in insurance coverage disputes and litigation, coverage advice, and bad faith litigation involving a wide array of third-party and first-party issues. Ray serves as lead counsel in large-exposure complex insurance coverage cases in California, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, and Hawaii. He has first-chaired numerous jury trials and arbitrations and frequently briefs and argues insurance issues of first impression. He has served as appellate counsel in a number of reported decisions.
He has extensive experience providing insurers strategic guidance and representation in pre-suit negotiations, mediations, arbitrations, and mandatory settlement conferences based on cost-effective and realistic strategies. He also prepares and oversees the preparation of numerous opinion letters and coverage position letters involving commercial general liability, property and casualty, errors and omissions, directors and officers, and personal lines policies.
Ray conducts periodic training of insurance clients' claims staff on legal, coverage, and extra-contractual issues and provides presentations regarding the latest trends and developments in insurance law and industry. He often partners with insurance clients in assigning and managing panel and local counsel for defense of underlying actions.
Ray assists the underwriting department of insurers with crafting insurance policy language and liaises between the claims and underwriting departments to achieve an optimal balance between risk management and underwriting goals.
Currently, Ray is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law. Ray teaches Global Legal Skills, an experiential law course on legal writing and oral advocacy skills.
Prior to joining Hinshaw in 2011, Ray headed his own firm, Tamaddon Law Group, in Woodland Hills, California. Previously, he worked as a Major Claims Senior Coverage Litigation Attorney at an in-house litigation firm for Resolute Management, Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway Company.
Ray also occasionally serves as an Arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association and has presided over and mediated mandatory settlement conferences as a volunteer. He also holds a California Real Estate Broker's license.
Some of Ray's clients include: Travelers Insurance Companies, IAT Insurance Group, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, James River Insurance Company, Chubb, Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Company, CSE Insurance Group, and Colliers International Greater Los Angeles, Inc.
A selection of his published representative cases:
- Prudential-LMI Commercial Ins. Co. v. Reliance Ins. Co., 22 Cal. App. 4th 1508 (1994)
- Powerine Oil Co. v. Superior Court, 104 Cal. App. 4th 957 (2002)
- Beardsley v. Mut. Serv. Cas. Ins. Co., 116 Fed. Appx. 73 (9th Cir. 2004)
- Powerine Oil Co., Inc. v. Superior Court, 37 Cal. 4th 377 (2005)
- Del Monte Fresh Produce, Inc. v. Fireman's Fund Ins. Co., 117 Haw. 357 (2007)
- Silgan Containers, LLC v. Nat'l Union Fire Ins. Co., 543 Fed. Appx. 635 (9th Cir. 2013)
- Premier Pools Mgmt. Corp. v. Colony Ins. Co., 649 Fed. Appx. 490 (9th Cir. 2016)
- Pacific Sci. Co. v. General Accident Ins. Co. of Am., 1996 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13194 (C.D.Cal. 1996)
- Pac. Emplrs. Ins. Co. v. Servco Pac., Inc., 273 F. Supp. 2d 1149 (D. Haw. 2003)
- Greenwood v. Mepamsa, SA, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 117491 (D.Ariz. 2011)
- Premier Pools Mgmt. Corp. v. Colony Ins. Co., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 47896 (E.D.Cal. 2014)
- Colony Ins. Co. v. Schlup Inv. Inc., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 105120 (W.D.Mo. 2014)
- Colony Ins. Co. v. Frison Flea Mkt. Inc., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 130841 (E.D.Mo. 2014)
- Kingsley Mgmt. Corp. v. Occidental Fire & Cas. Co., 441 F. Supp. 3d 1016 (S.D.Cal. 2020)
- Quality Home Transp., LLC v. Wilshire Ins. Co., 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 195234 (C.D.Cal. 2020)
- Northfield Insurance Company v. Altaf Hudani, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 193435 (C.D. Cal. 2021)
Ray was co-editor of a prior firm's newsletter.
His other publications include:
- "One-Sided Fee Scheme in California Fair Employment Act," Daily Journal, August 29, 2012
- "Indirect Light: Recovery of Lost Profits for Non-Infringed Items in copyright Litigation," Daily Journal, April 24, 1997
- "When Does the Potential for Coverage Arise?" Daily Journal, March 20, 1995
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1989
A.B., Government and Economics, Bowdoin College, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California