Michael Weis represents privately and publically held entities in business and commercial transactions. He has handled the negotiation and closing of hundreds of complex corporate and commercial real estate transactions both domestically and internationally. Michael's clients span a number of industries including: manufacturing, distribution, real estate, health care, food and beverage, technology and professional services.
Armed with a wealth of knowledge and experience in corporate, real estate and finance matters—including being a Certified Public Accountant since 1985—Michael helps his clients succeed personally and in business. His corporate experience includes all aspects of mergers and acquisitions, securities and corporate governance.
Michael's legal career spans three decades. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions, "Outside General Counsel" representation, commercial finance, securities, real estate, tax and estate planning and administration matters.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Michael's practice included 10 years at a boutique firm in Chicago where he served as chair of the firm's business and transactional practice. Additionally, Michael was General Counsel for a long term care organization. He began his legal career with a Chicago-based corporate and securities law firm, where he was an associate and then a partner.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois CPA Society
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the areas of: Closely & Privately Held Business Law; Corporate Finance Law; Real Estate Law: Commercial; and Real Estate Law: Finance
- Represented a seller in a $21 million sale of a long term care facility in the Chicago metro area.
- Represented a purchaser group in a $62 million acquisition of a technology company with domestic and international locations.
- Represented a contractor group in a $22 million entity restructuring which included a sale, acquisition, mezzanine financing and preferred equity interests.
- Represented a complex $20 million estate in connection with probate, tax, asset transfer and related issues in 3 states.
- "Smart Contracting: Managing Sales-Side Contracting Risk," Drafting More Effective Contracts 2020 a State Bar of Wisconsin seminar, Madison, Wisconsin, January 24, 2020
- "Business Financing Fundamentals for Attorneys: Business Financing Issues," National Business Institute Webinar, July 23, 2018
- "Representing the Real Estate Developer," Financial Poise Webinar, July 6, 2017
- "Taxation Flow-through Entities (TFT) & Taxation Practice & Procedures (TPP): New Partnership Audit Rules," Illinois CPA Society All Tax Committee Meeting, June 22, 2017
- "Representing Buyers and Sellers of Commercial Property," Financial Poise Webinar, May 18, 2017
- "Representing the Commercial Landlord," Financial Poise Webinar, February 2, 2017
- "Nursing Home Closures: Legal and Practical Issues Under Federal and Illinois Law," Homeostasis, August 27, 2018
Michael enjoys tennis and cycling and is an avid history and movie buff.
- American Heart Association, Volunteer
- Illinois Certified Public Accounting Society, Committees and Task Forces, Member
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 1988
B.S., with high honors, Accountancy, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1985