Maryjo Pirages Reynolds defends the interests of employers in a range of labor and employment matters. She also counsels clients within the business sector on business and commercial transactions and assists individuals and families with estate planning and administration.
Committed to working hand-in-hand with employers, Maryjo helps businesses of all sizes navigate the ever-changing legal landscape in order to limit their liability and exposure. In addition to helping employers ensure they are complying with statutory and administrative regulations, Maryjo advises them on their contracts, policies, and the development and implementation of employee handbooks. She has defended employers against charges of discrimination and retaliation involving the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Illinois Department of Human Rights, as well as claims alleging unfair labor practices filed with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). She also has experience representing employers in immigration matters, including the filing of employer sponsored visa petitions and in I-9 audits.
Maryjo's background further includes counseling clients within the business sector on business formation and operations, commercial real estate transactions, and assisting with corporate drafting needs.
Before joining Hinshaw, Maryjo practiced with a firm based in Rockford, Illinois. She gained experience in numerous areas of the law, ultimately focusing on labor and employment law. Born and raised in Rockford, Maryjo is committed to the Rockford community.
During law school, she was involved in a number of organizations and activities, including the University of Illinois Law Review. She also served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Wayne R. Andersen of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Prior to law school, Maryjo interned at the White House in the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs.
- Certified Arbitrator, 17th Judicial Circuit
- Winnebago County Bar Association
- Young Lawyers' Association, President, 2016 – 2017
Honors & Awards
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Labor and Employment Law – Management, 2021
- Named a "Next Up" Young Leader by the Rockford Register Star, 2019
- Recognized by her peers as an "Emerging Lawyer" in the areas of: Employment Law: Management; Immigration Law: Employment; Labor Law: Management; and Trust, Will & Estate Planning Law, 2017 – 2019
- "Employer Discussion: Addressing the Needs of Workers with Children during COVID-19," The Workforce Connections, Webinar, September 4, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "Navigating COVID-19 Legislation and its Impact on Employers," Rockford Area Economic Development Council (RAEDC) Webinar, May 14, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "Employer Compliance and COVID-19: Paid Sick Leave, Furloughs, and Layoffs," Chicago Bar Association CLE, Webinar, April 23, 2020
- "Employment Law Updates," Employee Benefits Association of Northern Illinois
- "Overview of Immigration Law in the Context of Employment Law," Winnebago County Bar Association
- "Background Checks in Employment," Employee Benefits Association of Northern Illinois
- "Employment Issues for Job Developers," Northwestern Illinois Association
- "Termination Tips," Sterling Education Services
- "Sexual, Racial, and Other Harassment and Discrimination," Sterling Education Services
- "Advanced FMLA and ADA Issues," Sterling Education Services
- "ACA/Obamacare: What Employers Need to Know," various clients and Sterling Education Services
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- Maryjo Pirages Reynolds Explores How Manufacturing Employers are Adapting to Legalized Recreational Cannabis in IllinoisAugust 17, 2020
- Proclamation by Trump Administration Will Have Major Impact on Employer-Sponsored Immigration
- Think You Finally Understand the PPP? Think Again… Because It Has Been Amended
- NLRB Announces Final Joint Employer Rule
- Final Rule from U.S. Department of Labor Provides Clarifying Update to Joint Employer Regulations
- NLRB to Propose Rule Extending Employer Property Rights
Employment Law Observer
- April 29, 2020Insights for Employers
- April 3, 2020Insights for Employers
- CARES Act Provides Massive Financial Relief to Small Businesses and Expands Unemployment Benefits for WorkersApril 1, 2020Insights for Employers
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Big Sister
- Community Foundation of Northern Illinois
- Afterschool Education Committee
- Davis Park Task Force, Appointed as Member by the Mayor of Rockford
- Goldie B. Floberg Center, Board Member
- Holy Family Church, Volunteer
- Leadership Rockford Chamber of Commerce Program, Graduate
- Next Rockford, Board of Directors, Member; Current President
- Rockford Area Crime Stoppers, Former Board Member
- Transform Rockford
- Communications Council Committee
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 2012
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Dayton, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois